If you had 1-2 days to climb in CO while passing through...

By Simon W
Jul 31, 2014
Foreplay at The Pinnacles
What would you climb?? Never been, so hope to make the most of this short trip.

I enjoy trad up to mid 5.10, and sport up to 11s (so Rifle is out!)

I like long routes in an alpine setting, but because I'm just passing through, I'd say multipitch objectives that are longer than 6-7hrs car to car are out.

By eli poss
From Chattanooga
Jul 31, 2014
if you are in southern colorado i would suggest penitente canyon. if you are in southwest colorado near durango i would suggest east animas (trad and sport, single and multi-pitch) or golf wall (single pitch sport) and for bouldering go to turtle lake.

By Simon W
Jul 31, 2014
Foreplay at The Pinnacles
Thanks ^

Base will be Leadville but I'll be mobile

By JJNS
Jul 31, 2014
If you're going to be based out of Leadville Independence Pass is the spot for you.

By Jordan Moore
From Boulder, co
Jul 31, 2014
Hampi, india
Stop by the black canyon for one of the 5.10 classics! comic relief for an intro, scenic cruise, the great white wall, midsummer's night dream are all great routes. Short approaches and big walls!!

By Adrian Hill
Jul 31, 2014
What month of the year?

Royal Flush would make a mellow half-day, with a semi-alpine
feel in spite of being almost roadside.
Independence Pass is great.

Adrian

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Aug 1, 2014
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.
Do what I did with a friend passing through for a long weekend, climb in Eldorado Canyon for trad and Cleer Creek Canyon for the sport routes. The sandstone in Eldo is amazingly solid and there's just something about that gneiss in Clear Creek for making good, hard sport routes. Of course the traffic noise is annoying, but you get short approaches. Look into Highlander Wall to get up away from it all a bit. Eldo, take your pick of walls and routes.

By george wilkey
From travelers rest sc
me
if you don't want to spend all your time driving Leadville has a few crags, Buena vista as a few more. the highest concentration of climbs near you will probably be the south platte area. check it out on MP, it has anything you could want.

also, you'll only be about an hour and 1/2 from rifle, if you can climb sport in the 5.11's there are more than enough routes in that range or less to keep you busy for 2 days. check out the ice cave wall in rifle here on MP.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Aug 1, 2014
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.
The Davis Face in Buena Vista would provide a worthy nearby destination for you. I loved that place.

By Drew Spaulding
From Boulder, CO
Lowering out on the Mescalito... '94
If in the Leadville area, MONITOR ROCK! Independence Pass. Check out the FY WALL. 5 new 3-pitch routes side by side. Check out my page to see topos of the multiple new routes that we've established up there!
Also check out Weston Wall. Been lots of afternoon monsoon clouds dumping rain. Weston Wall is less committing and sees 1st light of the sun in the morning... Leadville area too.
If in Boulder, ELDO!!!

By GhaMby
From Heaven
Simon W wrote:
If you had 1-2 days to climb in CO while passing through...

I would go mountain biking in Eagle and Steamboat. . .

By ChefMattThaner
From Lakewood, co
ducking ropes at Copper
mountainproject.com/v/eschers-...

Independence pass has tons of amazing short approach alpine like climbing. Eschers is by no means alpine but if you are gonna be in the area might as well get on one of the steepest 10b's in colorado.

By LLubchenco
From GWS, CO
Aug 1, 2014
another vote for Indy pass. Bulldog walls for moderate sport, monitor rock for multipitch climbs. Tons more options for all of it up on the west side of the pass. Have fun!

By Simon W
Foreplay at The Pinnacles
Thanks for the replies!

Looking for partners for Indy pass on 7/8 or 9, or both then. I'm going to be there more or less on someone else's schedule so won't know the days for sure until sometime next week.

Posting a thread in the CO LFP forum.

By Simon W
Foreplay at The Pinnacles
Oh yeah, best guide book for Independence pass area?

By S Denny
From Carbondale, CO
amazon.com/Independence-Pass-R...

classic out of print status

definitely hit the pass, a lot of other suggestions in here are plain rediculous

By Drew Spaulding
From Boulder, CO
Lowering out on the Mescalito... '94
Do you mean 8/8 and 8/9? July is over...

By Nate K
From Bozeman, MT
dirt bagging around cody
i dont live in CO but so there might be better advice on here but id recommend you go to Eldo and climb whatever classic is at your ability level. The rock is super unique and you wont find anything else like it.

Edit: I forgot how hot it gets there in the summer, eldo is probably not the best idea