Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Ice/Rock Climbing Partners and/or Destinations in Boise Area

By Andrew Shoemaker
From Garden Valley, ID
Nov 7, 2012
Me on Mt. Evans

I am moving to Garden Valley, about an hour north of Boise, from Boulder, Co at the beginning of December. Am looking to find some climbing partners up there for both rock and ice. Am new to ice climbing...last year was my first season on ice so I would need somebody experienced enough to lead for me till I'm comfortable at leading. Love mixed climbing too. Not inexperienced on rock though...I lead trad at 5.9, sport at easy 12, and boulder V5 ish. Am also trying to find information on ice near GV (like Stanley, Mcall, Banks/Lowman area)?

By Andrew Shoemaker
From Garden Valley, ID
Nov 26, 2012
Me on Mt. Evans

Bump. Surely there are some climbers in SW Idaho?

By John D
Nov 26, 2012

I'm not in boise, but I have been to city of rocks and it's awesome! good luck with finding partners.

By kevinhansen
From Albion Idaho
Nov 26, 2012
Why I do it...

Welcome to Idaho.
Its like no where else..
You may have better luck finding a partner at other forums.
www.idahosummits.com is more of a hiking/mountaineering/peak bagging type forum.
www.seiclimbing.com is a seldom posted on site for south east idaho (Rexburg to Pocatello).
BUT Boise has a healthy rock climbing community. You'll want to get a month pass to the climbing gym there in Boise as soon as you get unpacked. Folks there will show you around to local areas (Black Cliffs).
I live two hours from Boise near the City of Rocks. I started rock climbing in 1994 and ice climbing in 2002 and am always looking for partners. I have a few contacts I've climbed with in the Boise area...
Sadly there isn't much ice at that low elevation. Most ice is found in the Sawtooth's, Pioneer's, and Teton range's, and in the city of Twin Falls..
I think you'll find Idaho similar to Colorado with respect to outdoor opportunities, but less of the outdoor culture you'll find in Boulder, Fort Collins, and Ourey. Idahoans shop at Wal-mart and it seems jeans and a hoody are the dress code for every where but church. If when you get here you find your self thinking "ya'll are weird!" Its because we are. Keep in mind that Idaho is a big state, with one million people, and half of them live with in 30 minutes of Boise. What I'm trying to say is there are a whole lot of first ascents and descents to be had. You just got to be adventureous to go get them.
Idaho public television did a special on the history of climbing in Idaho. With a little searching you'll find it.. I found it accurate.
Give me a shout if you want to get out sometime.
Kevin

By Trevor.
Nov 27, 2012
Me on Pabst Smear. Chris took this pic from East Carbody.

I'm not an ice climber(yet), but I'm from Boise and I climb rock. I have no idea where the ice is in ID, but there's plenty of good rock around. Within a few hours of Boise are the Black cliffs(hundreds of sport and trad basalt climbs), Tablerock(sandstone bouldering), Swan Falls(TONS of basalt bouldering), Moore's mountain(a few cool granite slab routes in the hills above bogus), Gold fork pins and needles(just google it), Slickrock(1200ft granite slab near McCall), The Sawtooth Range(incredible alpine trad climbing), and the rather excellent City of Rocks and Castle Rocks. There are other climbing areas in ID, but I don't really know much about them. I'd imagine theres probably good rock in the GV area, but I'm not aware of any developed areas there.

I am going to be out of commissionfor a few months from shoulder surgery starting Dec20, but if you want to get out and climb before then or once spring rolls around, shoot me a PM.

By R.Walters
Nov 27, 2012

kevinhansen wrote:
Welcome to Idaho. I think you'll find Idaho similar to Colorado with respect to outdoor opportunities, but less of the outdoor culture you'll find in Boulder, Fort Collins, and Ourey. Idahoans shop at Wal-mart and it seems jeans and a hoody are the dress code for every where but church. If when you get here you find your self thinking "ya'll are weird!" Its because we are.

Jeans and a hoody, sure. But f*@k wal-mart!

Hey, I'm in Boise, been here for a couple years. Definitely haven't swung the tools much since I've been here, but I would be surprised if there isn't ice up in some of the hills around GV/Banks area, just not much published info that I'm aware of. Check with Sawtooth Mountain Guides for info on Stanley/Sun Valley area info.

Feel free to PM if you are ever heading down to Boise and want to check out the Black Cliffs. Lots of gear and sport routes in the ranges you mentioned.

Cheers

By kevinhansen
From Albion Idaho
Nov 27, 2012
Why I do it...

R.Walters wrote:
Jeans and a hoody, sure. But f*@k wal-mart! Cheers

Too true
Too true

www.peopleofwalmart.com/50279/fresh-powder/

Welcome to Idaho, don't stare at the natives.

By Andrew Shoemaker
From Garden Valley, ID
Nov 27, 2012
Me on Mt. Evans

Thanks for the replies and the info guys!

By Cory
From Boise, ID
Nov 28, 2012
Relaxing in the Tuttle Creek Campground after a fun day in the Hills

Hi Andrew,

As has been mentioned, there is lots of good rock to be had in the area. Summers are especially nice with daylight until 10pm thanks to the weird jog in the timezone line that has us on Mountain Time. You can still get a pretty full day of climbing AFTER work!

As for ice, I haven't checked any of these out yet, but there is a list here: www.iceclimb.com/ID.html . Looks like there may be some near GV. Also, lots of good alpine ice in the Lost River Range, Sawtooths, and probably Pioneers too.

I just moved to Boise 1.5 years ago, and am loving it so far. I am always looking for more people to get out with. Shoot me an email at charelson_at_gmail.com if you want to climb.

Cheers,
Cory

By kevinhansen
From Albion Idaho
Nov 29, 2012
Why I do it...

Cheers, Cory

Kevin

By Cory
From Boise, ID
Nov 29, 2012
Relaxing in the Tuttle Creek Campground after a fun day in the Hills

kevinhansen wrote:
I never heard how you trip into the Sawtooth's went two weeks ago. How was Stur Chimney? Got plans for this Friday and Saturday? Kevin

Sawtooth trip last Mon/Tue, we weren't sure if we would be climbing or skiing, so we brought gear for both. We ended up on the wrong trail (missed the obvious left turn for the Bench Lakes, doh!), so didn't get to climb Stur Chimney, and there was only about 2" of snow on the ground, so we couldn't ski. It did rain a lot though :). So we ended up hiking around in the mud in our ski boots, with 65 pound packs. You should have been there man, you really missed out! :P

This weekend I've got a friend flying in from out of town on Friday evening. We're planning on hunting for ice, maybe Bozeman or Cody, but we haven't figured out where yet. Looks like weather and conditions may not be in our favor . . . but let me know if you'd like to join the hunt!

By Maurice Chaunders
Dec 17, 2012
Colombian Crack

OP, what the heck will you be doing in Garden Valley??? I'm a salmon river guide havent climbed much around boise. We will hopefully move back to Boise this summer. Seriously, what's in GV?

By kevinhansen
From Albion Idaho
Dec 17, 2012
Why I do it...

Ahemm
Have you looked into going to HELL? Not sure how far away it is from you. You might be closer than you think.

cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/884850/1/Hel>>>