Ice/Mixed Plywood and other Training Setups!

By Brendan Blanchard
From Strafford, NH
Oct 13, 2012
Obi Wan Ryobi - Darth Vader Crag, Rumney NH
Pictures, pictures pictures. We had a snowstorm a week from now last year in the NE, who's getting ready, and how?

Post up pictures of your ice/mixed training setups.

Today's finished product:

(Design roughly follows Will Gadd's setup shown on his blog)

16' plice training setup
16' plice training setup

Jointed, and adjustable about 10-15 degrees +/- vertical.

Joint and brace at the top of the wall.
Joint and brace at the top of the wall.

Here's the joints in action, keeping it at vertical. Stable, and the bottom can be lifted and moved 3 feet in either direction to adjust the angle.

Top joint from the side.
Top joint from the side.

Material list:

(1) 2x8 sheet of plywood
(2) 2x16' -vertical support
(1) 2x12' -brace and joint arms
(5) 3/8"(?) strips
(8) 3/8" bolts, washer and nut set
(2) 1/2" lag bolts,with washers
(1) Box of screws, 2" exterior. Probably used 100-150 screws.

Easily made for under $80 at Home Depot or comparable hardware retail.

In use for the first time:

First training session of the season!
First training session of the season!

Looking forward to seeing others as well!

-Brendan

By AThomas
Nov 1, 2012
If it gets cool enough, any thoughts on running a hose to the top?

I'm kind of tempted to try something like this:

(From alaskaalpineclub.org/IceWall/O...

"The first one they made, last year, was on a single Poplar tree wrapped with orange snow fence. A garden hose from the house provided the water. The hose was kept outside the ice. It was 25 feet high, with a 10 foot diameter."

This one seems a little out of reach: flic.kr/p/7kboSK

By Bill Kirby
From Baltimore Maryland
Nov 2, 2012
Me eating a cliff bar walking back from Frankenstein Amphitheater

iceclimbingphotos.com/showphot...

By AThomas
Nov 4, 2012
Kirby1013 wrote:
Hey Adam,There's 40 foot tall by 10 foot wide artificial ice wall at the hostel in Banff AB. Sorry I can't find the picture I took. It looked like fun! The hostel had both water and compressed air ran to the top. There's a guy from Westminster MD that was on the local news for building a small one. Check it out: iceclimbingphotos.com/showphot...

That MD wall is crazy. The Banff wall: flic.kr/p/4uhPjV

By AThomas
Nov 19, 2012
Brendan,

Is the plice getting much use? Any repairs or design changes?

By JohnnyG
Nov 23, 2012
That plice wall is awesome. So is that Banff wall. Heck I would never have to leave home if I had that in my backyard.

FWIW I nailed short segments of 2x4 to a slightly overhanging limb on an old tree in my yard (Silver maple) and it makes for a quick and easy and cheap plice. I'll look for a photo.

By Brendan Blanchard
From Strafford, NH
Nov 23, 2012
Obi Wan Ryobi - Darth Vader Crag, Rumney NH
Adam Thomas wrote:
Brendan, Is the plice getting much use? Any repairs or design changes?

It hasn't seen too much use due to nursing my knee, but I really haven't changed anything. I need to tighten part of the hinge, but laziness has put that off still.

By Woodchuck ATC
Nov 23, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
Our efforts the last 2 winters has been to freeze up the side of a silo here in IL. 35 ft+, definately vertical or overhanging. Top ropes only, but awesome fun. For fall, we've been drytooling the same silo rungs with hand tools, no cramps.

Real ice in Chicagoland area.
Real ice in Chicagoland area.

dry tooling this fall
dry tooling this fall

By AThomas
Nov 24, 2012
If only I had a silo -- or a pond near the pines at the back of my lot.

By Daniel S Parker
From Sandy Utah
Dec 9, 2012
Second ascent.
my woodie <br />
my woodie

i just drilled holes in 2X4's on the front, top, and sides of all the blocks in various depths, works pretty well for dry tooling i may add thin strips of wood so i can start using crampons.

By Brendan Blanchard
From Strafford, NH
Dec 12, 2012
Obi Wan Ryobi - Darth Vader Crag, Rumney NH
Daniel,

I have a woodie in my basement that I use for rock, I screwed on some drilled 2x4's and strips for just tools, which worked pretty well. I don't know if adding crampons would make it any better though.

By Gunkiemike
Dec 19, 2012
Seems to me if your frontpoints are sharp then you don't need those strips going across.

By Brendan Blanchard
From Strafford, NH
Dec 19, 2012
Obi Wan Ryobi - Darth Vader Crag, Rumney NH
Gunkiemike wrote:

I tried using mono-points in the drilled holes, which resulted in the bottom, angled front points digging into the plywood which would dig through it pretty quickly, the strips give security and durability against the crampons and tools, both of which are nice when it's just training.

By Juggler
Oct 18, 2013
Ice at SR
We are Dry tooling the Silo this coming Sat- Oct.19th.

Starts at 11 AM till ?? Come join us for get those arms pumped!

PM me for location details....