Ice Conditions in 2006

By phil broscovak
Jan 4, 2006
Dreamin' Dawg

I would be greatly interested in hearing about current ice conditions throughout the region. The warm/dry weather spell at the end of 05 has me concerned. I don't want to get up at 3:00am to travel a couple of hours only to find melt out or desiccated ice. Perhaps climbers could use this forum to post current conditions, much like Malcolm did on the old format. Cheers to a New Year.

By phil broscovak
Jan 10, 2006
Dreamin' Dawg

Climbed Hidden Falls [RMNP] on 1/7/6 and Lincoln Falls [Hooiser Pass] on 1/8/6. Both waterfalls were in nicely. Lots of thick ice, pillars and curtains and not badly chopped at all. Saturday in the Park was clear warm and sunny (on the other side of the valley) but with a cold wind. Sunday on Lincoln was cold and snowy all day with a heinous drive back to Boulder for dessert. Neither location was "crowded" by any stretch of interpretation. Everyone seemed to either get along or get out of the way.
One cautionary note; A first time ice climber took a fall while seconding the upper pitch of the Scottish Gully. He was fine but rope stretch took him below his leashless tools which were left precariously perched in the steeper ice above. His partner had to lower him to an anchorable stance and rap off to retrieve the wayward axes. The scary part was that the moving of the rope knocked loose one of the sharp and pointy unleashed things which, fortunately, fell and stuck into the lower angle snow a foot or so away from the hapless "newbie". To their credit these two really nice dudes handled themselves with aplomb through it all but it could have been "really bad"! The thought of an ice tool tumbling and hurtling down towards a group of people is ugly even for Quentin Tarrentino. Prehaps it would be best to start out with leashed tools.

By Leo Paik
From Westminster, Colorado
Jan 11, 2006

Not that I've been out too much but word is that Vail is doing well, Booth Creek has had ice, Front Range is lean, Silver Plume is rotting out, Clear Creek is hurting, RMNP has ice, All Mixed Up was mostly 13cm screws, Loch Vale has ice but is lean, Necro disappeared, Smear never got fat, area below Notchtop has ice but isn't too fat, Nymph Lake has some ice, Treasure Falls pics look enticing, Ouray has ice....

By James K Purcell
Jan 19, 2006
torry peak

Heard Clear Creek is gone. Hope this snow will help a little.

By griz
From lakewood,co
Jan 19, 2006

I doubt I'll hear anything good about it with the 60-degree days but is there anything in Boulder Canyon? I have yet to get up there this year.

By jack roberts
Jan 19, 2006

Jack

By griz
From lakewood,co
Jan 20, 2006

Thanks, Jack. I added it to my Favorites. Good stuff!

By Leo Paik
From Westminster, Colorado
Jan 20, 2006

There is also a website Skywardmountaineering.com that lists Ouray, Silverton, and Telluride ice conditions.

By James K Purcell
Jan 20, 2006
torry peak

Went to Hoosier Pass/Lincoln Falls looked good, nice for the weekend. Partner bailed so I ended up top rope soloing at Silver Plume, not falling down needs cold.

By Alan Searcy
From Pine, Colorado
Jan 25, 2006
Storm's comin, we keep climbin.  Wasted all the good weather on our rest days.  Hut Tower, Ruth Gorge

jack roberts wrote:
I generally update ice conditions once a week on my website www.jackrobertsclimbing.com. The information I get is either first-hand or second-hand from friends around the state who get around in areas I don't. Check it out. Jack

Jack's site is great for checking conditions! If you're thinking about Wyo for ice here's the scoop. Cody on 1/12-1-17 was unseasonably warm, south-facing ice was taking a beating and some of the lower climbs like Moratorium and Joy After Pain were rotting from the ground up. Joy After Pain is about 40' short of touching down and the mixed bit to get on it was hard and tough to protect. Mean Green and High on Boulder were both in good as usual. Bozos Revenge was also fat. They need cold weather to really build some ice up there. We stayed off the south-facing stuff altogether. Bears are waking up so take your running shoes and bear spray. Remember you don't have to outrun the bear, just your partners. Check out Coldfear.com for current conditions.

By Kyle C. Hanson
Jan 27, 2006
RMNP 06

Climbed Fish Creek Falls outside of Steamboat a couple weeks ago and it was still very thin towards the top. It was more snow than ice. Punched through a couple times towards the top and got a great view of the wet void. Only got 1 screw in barely off the deck. Needs a lot more time.

By ErikJohnson
From Fort Colllins
Nov 8, 2006

Hey I'm heading up to Longs Peak next week and was wondering if anyone has any beta on the ice up there.

By Jeff Barnow
From Boulder Co
Nov 8, 2006
What goes up must come down

In and good

By Josh Koenig
Oct 31, 2007

My friends and I are going to RMNP in a few weeks to do some ice climbing. Anyone know how the ice is forming up in the Loch Vale area? Thanks so much for the info.

By Avery N
From Boulder, CO
Oct 31, 2007
Canadian Rockies Ice 2008.

Josh Koenig wrote:

Josh, the ice off the trail approaching loch vale was not in 1 week ago. Some ice was just starting to form, but none was touching down or reasonable enough to climb yet without destroying. We need more moisture and freeze/thaw!

(You might consider starting a 2007 thread for this...)

By Josh Koenig
Nov 6, 2007

Avery, thanks so much for the info.

Anyone know how Alexanders Chimney or Darkstar are forming up? How about Lamb's Slide? We're thinking about heading to this area in about 10 days. Any info would be great!!! Thanks,

Josh

By SAL
From broomdigiddy
Nov 6, 2007
good times. <br />

check out www.climbinglife.com

Avery is right. I would start a current thread. You'd get way more hits.
Enjoy
Jroberts is out of country and probably wont get his site updated for some bit. I would check out Eli's
Good stuff

By Julian Smith
From Colorado Springs, CO
Nov 6, 2007
Julian Smith

Hey Sal,

Many thanks for sharing the great link. Can't wait until stuff comes in a little better... Take care.

By Leo Paik
From Westminster, Colorado
Nov 7, 2007

Josh, Kevin Craig posted a conditions report 10/31/7 on the Alexander's page.

By Avery N
From Boulder, CO
Nov 7, 2007
Canadian Rockies Ice 2008.

Mark started a 2007/08 thread here :

Admins, can you move the Fall 2007 comments (except this one) to that thread?

By Jamie Jones
From Colorado
Feb 27, 2009

The Ouray Ice park is half closed due to two months of global warmingly hot weather.
All below the upper bridge is closed.