Ice Climbing Partner in the Cedar City/ St. George Area

By BSU_Zac
From Cedar City, UT
Oct 31, 2013
Little Black Dike, February 2013

I am new to the area and looking for an ice/alpine partner this winter. I have a few seasons under my belt but still fairly new to ice. I am comfortable leading WI3 and have led a handful of WI4 but more than willing to follow anything harder. Living back east, I was lucky enough to have a few ice mentors and could use one out west to learn from. I currently have an open schedule so any day of the week would work. Other than ice, I lead trad into the 11s and would love to get on some mountain routes.

Zac

By Dow Williams
From Saint George, UT
Oct 31, 2013
Dow Williams, 2011

I have climbed most of the ice in southern Utah when and if it forms. Keep in touch and let me know when you see something in. Cedarcicle is a good one near you. Several of us also make several trips to Ouray.

Southern Utah Ice

Cedarcicle
Cedarcicle

By BSU_Zac
From Cedar City, UT
Nov 1, 2013
Little Black Dike, February 2013

Thanks a lot Dow. I've lived and climbed in SW Utah on and off for 3 years now and your summitpost contributions have been a huge help. I'll be sure to keep in touch.

By dlasley
Dec 9, 2013
just climbing

I'm a zion trad climber looking for some ice climbing experience. I have no ice gear. I want to try a little before I make any major purchases. I live in Saint george. Looking to climb in Cedar.

By BSU_Zac
From Cedar City, UT
Dec 9, 2013
Little Black Dike, February 2013

dlasley, What boot size are you? If you are interested in a day of TRing then you could share my tools and crampons but boots may be an issue. I have an extra pair of 10s if you could fit into them, they are a little big and would probably fit a 10.5-11 foot.

I have been keeping an eye on ice in cedar. Cedarcicle is just barely forming at the top so it is a long way out, I couldn't pull off the road but it looks like there may be potential in the Sand Cuts area. I still need to hike down Ashdown gorge.

By Dow Williams
From Saint George, UT
Dec 9, 2013
Dow Williams, 2011

Zac, Hidden Haven should be good to go...have you hiked back there yet?

By dlasley
Dec 12, 2013
just climbing

BSU_Zac I wear 11's and I'm pretty positive I can cram my feet into some 10's. I leave for California on the 28th so anytime before then works perfect. I'll be back for school in early January. I'm down for some TR but any adventure is awesome. I'm really wanting to do anything. How soon do you think you'll be ready to do ashdown?

By Shameless Shaemus
Dec 12, 2013

Dow Williams is a gentleman and a scholar…now if I can only get the old man to check out the ice in Cody…

By Dow Williams
From Saint George, UT
Dec 13, 2013
Dow Williams, 2011

Cody is way to cold for this old man's hands. Hell...I absconded from the frozen depths of southern Utah to Miami for the Patriot-Fins game Sunday....only ice I have found down here is in my drink.

By Garret Nuzzo-Jones
From Salt Lake City, UT
Dec 13, 2013
Cleaning up in Jenny Lake.

If some decent ice does come in I'd love to make the trip from SLC down there and climb with you locals. Please post any findings in the ice conditions thread in Northern Utah!

By Ben Lock
From Cedar City, UT
Dec 13, 2013

Hey there,
I have lived in Cedar City on and off for the past few years and I'm back now. I'm a rock climber and I have done some alpine. Looking to get some Ice experience. I have my own boots but no crampons or axes, would be willing to belay,and would love to TR and learn. Will exchange some beer.

By Dow Williams
From Saint George, UT
Dec 19, 2013
Dow Williams, 2011

Led Hidden Haven today, a bit thin and wet, but based on what I saw compared to previous years, going to be a good year for ice in southern Utah. Imagine Cedarcicle will come in good.

By BSU_Zac
From Cedar City, UT
Feb 7, 2014
Little Black Dike, February 2013

Camp Creek falls is in fat today (2-7-14). Hit me up if anyone is interested in getting out. First ice worth doing all season that I have found around Cedar.

Camp Creek Falls 2-7-14 Zion National Park
Camp Creek Falls 2-7-14 Zion National Park

By dlasley
Feb 11, 2014
just climbing

I'm available for the weekend if you've got the boots and axe!