ice climbing in Munising MI, Fri or Sat next week, 20-21 Dec

By Tyler Ludlow
Dec 13, 2012

Hi everyone, I'm new to these forums and the Midwest. My family and I moved to Indianapolis this past Aug, coming from England, but originally from CA.

We started a tradition with our kids that when they turn 12, Dad takes them out for ~week in the outdoors. My oldest and I backpacked in Scotland (in the summer) - it was brilliant. Our next child turns 12 this coming Jan. Ealier this year we thought we'd stay longer in the UK, and made tentative plans to return to Scotland to do some ice climbing (www.ice-factor.co.uk/index.php). Since we're here now, we've adjusted our plans.

My son and I are headed off to Gaylord MI next week for a couple days of snowboarding (good deals on groupon). Then, we're headed up to Munising for some snowshoe backpacking. I hear it's an ice climbers paradise up there and, although last minute, I thought I'd try to track down someone that could help introduce us to ice climbing for a 1/2 or full day. It would need to be either Fri or Sat, 20 or 21 Dec.

Neither my son or I have experience ice climbing. However, several years ago I directed a high ropes course and have even led a few rock climbing trips. Given my family constraints with several young children, I haven't made the time yet to become an avid climber. I do know my way around ropes and belaying though. My son hasn't done any climbing outside of a indoor, self-belayed systems. He loves the outdoors though and has great stamina. We'll be geared up in terms of clothing, including crampon compatible boots, but we don't have any climbing gear.

Is this something anyone on this forum might be interested in? We can discuss arrangements. Also, I hear we might be a little on the early side when it comes to the ice being ready. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers!
Tyler

By Rick Mulhern
Dec 13, 2012

Tyler,
Check out Michigan Ice fest site for updates on route conditions. I would check with Bill Thompson of Downwind Sports in Marqutte, MI. for possible partners/guide. Good luck!

By Colonel Mustard
From Reno, NV
Dec 13, 2012
Colonel Mustard

Hey! I got married there!

That's all.

By Bill Thompson
Dec 16, 2012
Everest Base Camp

Was just in Munising on Thursday scouting out ice conditions. Not looking good right now but will keep folks updated weekly. Here are the shots of the current conditions:
www.michiganicefest.com/

By roger fritz from rockford, IL
Dec 17, 2012
Wichita Mountains, Sunshine Wall

Tyler Ludlow wrote:

This is a great thing you are doing with your sons. It undoubtedly will be a week that you both will cherish for the rest of your days. The shoreline is wonderful even if the ice is thin. Enjoy your time with your son. Great job...Dad!!!

By stihlhead82
From Belvidere, Il
Jan 4, 2013
climbing genesis I in Hyalite Canyon Bozeman MT

Im headin to munising today, i will report ice conditions. was in new hampshire climbing last week and the ice was awesome (sorry got sidetracked)

By jon jugenheimer
From Madison
Jan 4, 2013
hi

downwindsports.com/icefest/2013/01/ice-conditions-report-1-4>>>

Let us know about the Frontcountry! Like the dryerhose and what not.

By stihlhead82
From Belvidere, Il
Jan 7, 2013
climbing genesis I in Hyalite Canyon Bozeman MT

Didnt get over to dryer hose but did climb sweet mother moses which has formed quite well. grand island had a lot of formed ice but would have to take a boat over because the lake is all open. afraid warm temps all week will regress all ice thats formed. i think im headin to cody or ouray til the ice is better