Ice and Mixed Bouldering

By Jay Knower
From Campton, NH
Jan 18, 2013
Technosurfing, Rumney. Photo by Seth Hamel.

This post was originally a comment in Ice and Mixed Bouldering

Is "ice bouldering" a thing now?

By EDGE
From Boulder, CO
Jan 18, 2013
Puffin, Newfoundland, Canada

This post was originally a comment in Ice and Mixed Bouldering

Oh dear gawd...

By john strand
From southern colo
Jan 18, 2013

This post was originally a comment in Ice and Mixed Bouldering

$1,000 for gear to do 15' ?!

By EDGE
From Boulder, CO
Jan 18, 2013
Puffin, Newfoundland, Canada

This post was originally a comment in Ice and Mixed Bouldering

Well John, those Kevlar coated crash pads (crampon proof) are quite pricey.

By Jay Knower
From Campton, NH
Jan 19, 2013
Technosurfing, Rumney. Photo by Seth Hamel.

This post was originally a comment in Ice and Mixed Bouldering

I suppose if it gets you out of the house in the winter, it's a good thing. I think you'd still be in a no-fall situation, with all the sharp points on your person.

What's the potential for rock bouldering at Smarts Brook?

By Ryan Barber
From Rumney, NH
Jan 25, 2013
Jon Hydeman and myself at the trailhead to Castleton Tower in the Utah desert.

This post was originally a comment in Ice and Mixed Bouldering

I have found this to be a very enjoyable activity when given a few hours here or there to practice technique and build confidence, and I believe there are plenty of opportunities around the local areas to do so.

By bradley white
From Plymouth
Feb 1, 2013
The Dirtiest Climb.

This post was originally a comment in Ice and Mixed Bouldering

Ryan has listed a occupation that is real. It does seem queer or funny and boulder climbers got laughed at also in the same way, once (I still laugh too myself at the teen age ninja looking, pad carriers). Then we thought best, now we think best. Then a few were fanatical about rock climbing just, boulders. Now many are and its a sport.
Ice climbers don't boulder to boulder only, or they haven't yet. Ice climbing no rope practicing on boulders and short walls... this no rope ice climbing is older than I know too date.
Ice goes as high as Everest, and the Hillary Step, its a very high iced boulder problem. This doesn't count though, its part of a climb and its not in NH.

By M Sprague
From New England
Feb 1, 2013

This post was originally a comment in Ice and Mixed Bouldering

By scott cooney
From La Casa Taco
Feb 1, 2013
11th hour of the Sundial

"Could it go to shoes and gloves with grippy sandpaper like covering?"
using wool gloves instead of tools has been a tatic for teaching good footwork going back to the 80's and probably before that. I'm reminded of a Jeff Lowe video teaching Bird Lew to ice climb where he made her go through the whole wool glove tool less climbing.

By JohnnyG
Feb 3, 2013

Hello tweaked ankles.

So it's hard to push yourself like normal bouldering.

By JCM
From Seattle, WA
Feb 3, 2013

JohnnyG wrote:
The problem with ice bouldering, and I've done some, is that it's so sketchy when you fall. Especially when we have shite for snow cover, like in NH right now. Hello tweaked ankles.

My ankles hurt just thinking abut this activity. Broken ankles and puncture wounds...

By Brendan Blanchard
From Strafford, NH
Feb 3, 2013
Obi Wan Ryobi - Darth Vader Crag, Rumney NH

M Sprague wrote:
This post was originally a comment in Ice and Mixed Bouldering What I want to know is, when are people going to go back to climbing ice without the aid of tools or crampons (you would still use screws and a rope for protection)? It would be like 'freeing" an ice route. It would certainly open up whole new degrees of difficulty. Ice bouldering would probably be the field to start, as you could really be pure, with bare feet and hands. When you get back down you jump back in your Sorels and throw on your mittens. Seriously, how do we get ice climbing out of the realm of aid and into free? I would be a lot more impressed if somebody could climb up an icicle without hacking their way up. It has already moved from step cutting to modern tools etc. Could it go to shoes and gloves with grippy sandpaper like covering?

There is an ice climb in NH that requires some hand jamming. I remember reading the description on MP, maybe in Franconia or on Webster?

Anyway, for "freeing" ice routes, I would think tongues would be crucial on colder days, much like on flag poles.