I Want to Thank Some Folks

By James Crump
Mar 16, 2012
Back when, late 70's and those days of yore, C-Cprings climbers really ruled and gave generously to following generations of climbers like me. I speak of Daniel McClure, I speak of Steve Cheney, their introductions to Earl Wiggans, Billy Westbay, and many others. As someone who learned so much from these pioneering climbers, what they shared of Pikes Peak and the Platte, their traditional ethics, and climbing view, I thank them for the many years-spanning mentoring and influence.

Thank you for what you did to influence Texas Climbing.

Steve Cheney.
Steve Cheney.

Daniel McClure FA False Determination.
Daniel McClure FA False Determination.

Daniel McClure, FA Innominant.
Daniel McClure, FA Innominant.

And Steve, thanks for picking us up at the Manatou Springs trailhead!!!! Sorry about the breaks... If I could build a pyramid in your honor I would.
Thanks! Thank you! Thank You!!!!!!!!!
-james

This is not meant to slight Boulder Climbers like Jeff Lowe and Kevin Donald who were equally generous!!! :-) Ah hell thanks to you guys too!

Thanks!

By Stone Nude
Mar 16, 2012
When dumb people have disposable income, hilarity ...
Gratitude's pretty rare on MP. Nice post, man.

By James Crump
Mar 16, 2012
Thanks as this is heart felt. Back in the 70s, climbing was almost word of mouth, knowledge passed hand to hand, lip to ear... There are folks who stood tall in the sharing of the Mountain way. Harvey T, and many others... As our hands pass over these stones, following these trails, back then, there were fewer trails and small pockets of knowledge and skill.

We do a disservice if we do not recognize these original sharers of mountain craft. Their fundamentals have saved many a life, mine, others, ... because they shared skill and knowledge.

Salute.

By Mic Fairchild
From Boulder
Mar 16, 2012
personal photo
Thanks James for passing it on. Just don't make me catch YOU without a solid anchor!

By Hank Caylor
From Golden, CO
Mar 16, 2012
Pure bliss..
Niiiiice James!! So then I gotta' thank you, Dave and Mike Head(not related)and the Yahoo Mountain Guides.

By James Crump
Mar 16, 2012
Mic, you should know, as you solo around... I was always to scared to fall. Hank, we might thank those we came from, but we also thank those who sustained us and lived into our dreams. You know what that means Spanky. XXOO

By crankenstein
Mar 17, 2012
I'd like to add a thank you to James for sharing all of the great knowledge he learned from the C Springs and Boulder climbers which then led to some great routes in Texas. James' ethic and motivation has led to another generation of Texas climbers being able to hold their own when traveling around the country.

By Glenn Schuler
From Monument, Co.
Mar 18, 2012
A grey fox skull wedged in a crack 100' up on a FA...
I'll second that James, we owe so much to our mentors. Great shot of Steve up top! When I was just a pup, Steve gave me my first climbing lesson up in 11 mile. I consider myself a member of the Cheney "tree" - Thank you Steve!

By James Crump
Mar 18, 2012
Anyone who has contact with Steve or Daniel would be granting me a great favor if this thanks would be forwarded on.

Mentors give the greatest gifts. And they give others like myself the priviledge of passing knowledge forward. In my chain I know my roots... And what I have been able to pass on.

That gift may be permission to crash in the back yard and share a shower, a day on Turkey Tail.... How to climb ice with only your hands, showing a Texan who never climbed ice footwork.... To the secrets of hand jams.... Fast multi-pitch anchors... Sound rope work, big wall tactics...

Best thing for climbers who have a clue is to adopt a young buck and mentor... Our community will be better and we will have a hope for managing the gumbie onslaught .