Hueco reservations for December

By gss24
Nov 12, 2012

Heyyo,

Anyone have any hueco days to spare? Realize that's like asking if anyone has some spare money to give away, but worth a shot! I will be there all of December and have zero days reserved... I am going regardless and know the whole 10 walk-ins, one-in-one-out dance but would rather avoid it.

thank you!

By Ian Cappelle
From El Paso, TX
Nov 14, 2012

You might also want to try posting this in the Arizona/New Mexico forum.

-Ian

By J Q
Nov 14, 2012
Me again!

Good luck dude. Last year, on average, there were over 20 cars waiting in line over the holiday break, and many of them waited until 4 pm when crews would start leaving. While this didn't happen every day it is more common than not. This year, North mountain reservations were disappearing within 5 minutes of the Austin office opening, leaving me to believe it will be even worse this season. Additionally, those 10 walk-in spots will be taken by people camping in the actual park, so you may want to see if you can make reservations for a campsite and then get to the office by 4 am. After the 15th you will probably have to either camp in the park or get a pay tour from one of the guide services to climb.

Just thought I might save you a headache, plan ahead or be pissed in the line.

By Greg Springer
From Minneapolis
Nov 14, 2012
Friends big puppy

I'm unfamiliar with this process and am interested in going to Hueco Tanks in January, sorry to de-rail, but can you briefly explain the process to me?

By Jay Shultis
From Blacksburg VA
Nov 15, 2012

Get a reservation to climb North mountain or get a guide through Hueco Rock Ranch, that is pretty much where it is at.

By J Q
Nov 16, 2012
Me again!

You don't need to use the Rock Ranch to get a guide. There is another outfit at wagon wheel that has a guiding service which you may find more to your liking.

If you are staying in the park (camping) then you get first dibs on the 10 peeps walk on passes in the morning but, you have to get up early and fight people for them. Not kidding.

By Dan Carter
From Las Cruces, NM
Nov 16, 2012

North Mountain: Reservations or walk-ins. Camping in the park does help.
East and West Mountains and East Spur: tours.
private guide tours through hueco rock ranch or wagon wheel co-opt.
OR
volunteer tours through Hueco Tanks State Park. One can sign up for these at the office or ask around and try to jump on a spot.
Good luck. It is a bit of a hassle but I think the climbing is worth it. See you down there.

By JLP
From The Internet
Nov 16, 2012

Dan Carter wrote:
It is a bit of a hassle but I think the climbing is worth it.

I don't. Your best case with any option (I've done them all many times) is to spend 1/3 to 1/2 your day fucking around with some system and waiting in some queue. It's a trainwreck. The regulars are 20 somethings who either don't know any better or have no value for their time.

By Alex McIntyre
From Tucson, AZ
Nov 16, 2012

JLP wrote:

Having a tour or reservations absolutely does not entail jacking around with "some system" for half the day. Every tour I've been on has been a quick drive into the park, then hiking to climbing, with no more than 10 minutes spent at the booth. Reservations are the same way. What are you talking about?

By Chris Horton
From Tucson AZ
Nov 16, 2012
Awesomeness!

Alex is right. Some careful planning means zero hassle and you're on the rock before you know it.

I have complained about the red tape just like everyone else, but when I was in Bishop last, surrounded by hundreds of people treating the place like crap, I was longing for Hueco.

The positives of the Hueco set up is that you have to really want to be there, so the climbing scene is a little more serious, i.e. no boomboxes, dogs, people that have never climbed before, etc.

Going in without reservations? That's risky.