How To Repair Rain Gear

By Brigette
From Seattle, WA
At the anchors.

After a very fun few days of ice climbing, I've discovered a new love, acquired some very sore muscles, and ripped or sliced three articles of clothing. How do y'all repair your waterproof gear?

Thanks!

By BHMBen
From The Deeper South
Feb 13, 2013
Post climb snack... <br /> <br />Photo is of Strappo Hughes, taken in the Yosemite Lodge parking lot in 1982 by Russ Walling.

Ripstop tape plus perimeter stitching with a light coat of SilNet has worked for me in the past.

By KathyS
From Poughkeepsie, NY
Feb 13, 2013
Me at the summit of Inner Course (5.4) in the Outlets.  Long, lovely, mellow route.  Well protected even.  My favorite lead from the trip.

I've tried stick-on patches, and they always peel off before too long. Here is how I fix my waterproof stuff:

www.iceclimbingforums.com/showthread.php?9082-Gaiter-Repair->>>

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Feb 13, 2013
Epic free solo with a pack on

Seam-Grip!

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Feb 13, 2013

A neat stich and Seam Grip is by far the most long lasting fix that is 100% waterproof.

If its a big hole you cant stitch closed then what Ben mentioned is best. You can get goretex patches as well

By Davis Stevenson
From Flagstaff, Arizona
Feb 13, 2013
Following up a new route out in the Mojave Desert.  Info coming soon maybe?  Fun 5.10 hands and fingers.

Just stitch and re-seal. If you can't stitch it, stitch on some matching coated nylon and seal it. Stick on patches and repair tape always seem to peel off at the worst times...

I carry a small sewing kit with me on long trips with some scrap nylon and sealer. Only had to use it once or twice, but it kept me from being wet and cold both times.

EDIT:
The Goretex patches are a waste of money. Unless the hole is huge, one small patch of non-breathable coated nylon isn't going to affect your jacket's performance.

By Brian Abram
From Columbia, SC
Feb 13, 2013
Brian Abram, leading pitch 2 of Dinkus Dog on the South Side of Looking Glass.  Kyle Sox is belaying.

I've had luck with small holes using the stickers that come in the Thermarest repair kits.

By Micahisaac
From Longmont, CO
soloing Boulder Canyon Upper Falls

I put on the basic rip stop patches and then go over them with shoe goo. Seems to be the burliest option I've found that allows me to skip the sewing part.

By "H"
From Manitou Springs
Feb 13, 2013
Axes glistening in the sun

I've tried the goretex patches, they worked ok, but eventually peeled off! Ive used duct tape that was pretty good but also eventually peeled off. The best stuff I've used is from home depot can't remember what it's called, but it's basically for dipping your work tools in to create a rubber grip. Hold the tear together and paint it on. It's flexible and waterproof. Maybe not pretty, but effective. My old black lowe alpine h2o proof pants have red spots of this stuff all over. Looks like I've been shot.

By Davis Stevenson
From Flagstaff, Arizona

"H" wrote:

Plastidip I believe? What works even better than any "repair tape" that I've found is Tyvek Tape. It's the Waterproof/Breathable membrane they wrap wood-framed houses in. The tape is for making small repairs and sealing edges.

I haven't used it on clothing yet, since it sticks like hell and I tend to just sew things, but I've used it on my tents and bivy sack before. I round the edges and it never seams to peel...

By David Appelhans
From Lafayette
Imaginate

Micahisaac wrote:

Exactly what I do as well. Really strong repair, no sewing, and only takes a couple of minutes. I use freesole for the goo.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

duct tape, inside layer and outside. works cheap,looks like crap.