Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
How long should it take for a 9.5 mile winter snowshoe trek?

By RadTrad
From Prescott, Arizona
May 10, 2011
Storm over on Toms Thumb

How long would it generally take you guys to trek 9.5 miles in snowshoes and at 1000' starting elevation going to 4,016'?

By RadTrad
From Prescott, Arizona
May 10, 2011
Storm over on Toms Thumb

Forgot to mention thats round trip.

By Phillip Morris
From Flavor Country
May 10, 2011

My rule of thumb for estimating hiking times is one hour for every two miles of distance, plus one hour for every 1,000 vertical feet gained.

For me this is a pretty conservative estimate, under normal conditions I almost always come in faster.

By Roots
From Tustin, CA
May 10, 2011

there's so many varibles..the above estimates seems right but again there are so many variables. Best just to start early and have fun.

By JLP
From The Internet
May 10, 2011

This kind of outing can vary from ~1.5 hours to a multiday epic w/ a few forced bivies, ending in death.

By RadTrad
From Prescott, Arizona
May 10, 2011
Storm over on Toms Thumb

JLP wrote:

Very true indeed. Im just trying to figure out if my 6.5 hour time is slow? giving we had to drive 4 hours after being up from 6am for school and didnt leave the trail head until 1030-11pm. Just trying to see if i was going extremely slow that night.

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
May 10, 2011
OMG, I winz!!!

No real way to know Paul. Could be slow if the trail was pretty packed but definitely not slow if you were breaking trail the whole way. I wouldn't worry about it.

By aviarome
From Rochester, NY
May 10, 2011

Hey Paul,
I noticed that you've posted several hiking questions, mostly pertaining to the Adirondacks, and I'm guessing you're probably asking about a hike in the ADKs right now. Not sure if you're a member or browse at all, but a good forum site that might be useful would be adkhighpeaks.com where most of the people there are hikers/backpackers. Also for the Northeast region is viewsfromthetop.com. You'll get great region specific answers for the ADKs, Catskills, Whites, etc about hiking, peak climbing, and camping.

To answer your question, it all depends. I'm not really a fast hiker, but if the trail is packed and conditions are fantastic, I've done something similar in 3.5hrs, and also have taken a lot longer than 6.5 hrs if breaking trail, or stopping for pictures or going at a leisurely pace.