How is Tucson as a town/climbing town?

By Ryan N
From Lone Tree, Colorado
Oct 23, 2013
RJN

So I'm headed to Tucson, AZ until February. I was wondering what Mt. Lemmon is like for climbing. It mostly looks like single pitch sport. Are there any winter climbs ie. ice, snow, alpine? At nearly 10,000ft I'd imagine there might be some couloirs at least.

Also interested in anyone's opinion on the diving in Mexico? Looks like some good stuff 4-6hrs away. I'm a pretty experienced cold water diver so the thought of diving in warmer water is nice. Is it a pain in the ass to drive in Mexico?

what is the city like to live in. I did grow up in Scottsdale, AZ so I know what it was like 10 years ago. I've been down there a number of times, but it didn't leave a lasting impression.

and last, I'm headed that way so I'd like to hook up with some partners. I will be free until the first week of November.

By Kevinmurray
Oct 23, 2013

Driving in Mexico,buy Mexican auto insurance, check your U.s. coverage,don't drive at night,lot's of animals on the road and no fences. If you hit an animal and your car is still operable drive away.

By dale polen
From arivaca, az
Oct 23, 2013

Great climbing on Lemmon. Tuscon is a ugly city though. It smells and is loud. i wouldnt live there. There are some nicer small towns in Southern Az.

By Kevinmurray
Oct 23, 2013

Tucson is indeed a big ugly city but what do you expect when one of the arterial streets is named Speedway.

By Lauer
From Tucson, AZ
Oct 23, 2013

Tucson is a shithole with character, so I like it, but don't want to be here forever. Checkout Cochise Stronghold/Baboquivari/Mendoza/Leviathan for your multi-pitch climbing, there is plenty. There really isn't any alpine climbing to speak of although I hear a few places on lemmon will occasionally ice up enough for a pitch. PM me if you wish.

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Oct 23, 2013

Kevinmurray wrote:

It really bums me out that Tucson has turned into a big city- when I lived there in the 90s for college, I really enjoyed it. I recently returned for work and was sorely disappointed. Too bad, really.

At least there's still good climbing and the food is still pretty awesome.

By Robbie Mackley
From Tucson, AZ
Oct 23, 2013
Me and Holden at the "Matterhorn"

The thought of Tucson as a "big city" is laughable to me. Especially if you grew up in the Scottsdale/PHX area.
As for the climbing, there is plenty of both sport and trad to keep you busy until February. There is a lot of single pitch craging, but there is also ample multi pitch in the Catalina's. Add in the places mentioned above, and I'm sure you can stay busy.
Be sure to check out an SACC (Southern Arizona Climbers Coalition) meeting as a good place to meet partners. They happen the first Monday of every month at Barrio Brewery. Also check out the Beanfest this weekend (10/25-27) to meet partners and climb Cochise.
Welcome to SoAZ.
-Mackley

By Jaren Watson
From Rexburg, Idaho
Oct 23, 2013

Tucson is a reasonably sized city, but because it's spread out and has strict lighting restrictions, it always felt like a large town to me, more on the order of 100,000 people. Before Tucson, I lived in Louisville, and though the populations are roughly equivalent, Louisville felt at least three times as big.
I enjoyed my time in Tucson, as well as the climbing on Lemmon. Currently, I live in the shadow of the Tetons, but if work allowed it, I would't hesitate to move back to southern AZ.

By Rick Blair
From Denver
Oct 23, 2013
This is a novel auto blocking belay device.  I think it works quite well, depending on rope thickness and sheath quality, it belays very smooth.  Great to lower with.  You gotta love over engineering.  $3 at a gear swap!

This is a weird thread. Last time I was in Toucson was maybe '98. Seemed pretty cool then. I loved the desert surrounding it. I hope these negative comments are hyperbole.

By JackWeaver
From Tucson, AZ
Oct 23, 2013

I just moved to Tucson about a week ago and can't say anything about

the climbing, but the city seems cool as long as you're within 2

miles of downtown.
As far as I know, Tucson is the best

combination of cheap living, culture, and proximity to climbing.

There is a ton of sprawl-miles and miles of box stores and shitty

looking apartment buildings. When I first got here I was trying to be

close to mt. lemmon,so I was looking in the suburban area and I almost

left because it was so depressing. Downtown rent is still CHEAP

compared to anywhere else I've lived and there's a lot going on.

By Ryan N
From Lone Tree, Colorado
Oct 23, 2013
RJN

Thanks guys. Kinda what I thought. I'll check out the climbers coalition.