How important is a haul loop on a harness?

By harpo-the-climber
Apr 5, 2013

I am looking at new harnesses by CAMP. The Quartz CR3 has a haul loop by the gear loops are a bit floppy. The Jasper CR3 Light has most of the same features with stiffer gear loops but no haul loops and is a bit lighter. How important are haul loops on a harness? I have used one a couple of times for a tag line. Are there ways to work around not having a haul loop?

By S Denny
From Carbondale, CO
Apr 5, 2013

depends on how much Australian Rappeling you'll be doing

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Apr 5, 2013
El Chorro

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Apr 5, 2013
...

I've used them many times through the years and found them useful.

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Apr 5, 2013
Cleo's Needle

I rarely use haul loops anymore. I hate the feeling of gear swinging around behind me and if I need to tie in a tag line I attached it to my belay loop. The Misty Haul loop is really long, I've tried attaching shoes to it and they ended up bouncing off the back of my knees.

A lot of people complain about non rated haul loops but my harnesses may as well not even have them. I'm not a big waller so there is that too.

By harpo-the-climber
Apr 5, 2013

Ryan Williams wrote:
I like being able to clip essentials back there without having to wirry about loosing them. Tag lines can get heavy on long pitches, especially if it is steep and/or windy. Gear loops are not full strength. If you see a harness that you really want, and it doesnt have a haul loop, buy it and add one. It's not hard. Also, you could get a company like Misty Mountain to just build a harness that meets your needs.

Any tips on adding a haul loop? I have a good seamstress in town.

By Allen Corneau
From Houston, TX
Apr 5, 2013

I used to have a Petzl Jump harness that didn't have a haul loop.

I added a 6" sewn loop right over the waist belt (although I had to undo a leg-loop riser to get in on there).

Worked like a charm.

By David Pneuman
From Montrose, CO
Apr 5, 2013

harpo-the-climber wrote:
Any tips on adding a haul loop? I have a good seamstress in town.

Have a 6" runner handy to girth hitch.

By harpo-the-climber
Apr 6, 2013

Gotcha, thanks that is pretty simple.

By Bob Dobalina
Apr 6, 2013

Many Euro harness brands don't have haul loops (Petzl). Most North American brands do (BD). It seems that the Euros use double ropes more often and therefore don't need a loop on the back of the harness to attach a 2nd rope.
We here in the states it's more common to use the single rope technique, requiring a haul loop to attach and "drag" the "dead" 2nd rope up climbs.
For me a haul loop is crucial. I don't want a tag/haul line clipped and tugging on the front of my harness. Ouch.

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Apr 6, 2013
Epic free solo with a pack on

Definitely handy to clip a puffy back there in the winter without it being in the way.

By Greg D
From Here
Apr 6, 2013
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />

Ben Brotelho wrote:

Definitley need full strength haul loop for that! Those fuckers are heavy.

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Apr 6, 2013
Epic free solo with a pack on

Greg D wrote:
Definitley need full strength haul loop for that! Those fuckers are heavy.

I actually sew a backup haul loop for my puffy, can't be too careful out there!!!!!

By Woodchuck ATC
Apr 6, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Take an old fashioned non-dogbone quickdraw sling and pass it over your harness to leave it hanging in back. Plenty strong, it's on your main harness belt, and can be slid to one side if it gets in the way. Use one all the time on older harnesses in need of a back side tie in point.

By Leo Paik
From Westminster, Colorado
Apr 7, 2013

Unless you are aid climbing, a haul loop is not essential and can be worked around just as a number of folks here are suggesting. If you want something strong to clip something you are trailing, a haul loop is a nice convenience. Probably 90% of free climbers don't "need" them.

By Kirk B.
From Boise, ID
Apr 7, 2013
belay slaving on some route I forgot the name of way right of Bloody Fingers.

It's not a big deal. Like some folk have said, if needed, you can add one.
Pretty easy peasy.

By Rob Warden, Space Lizard
From Springdale Ut
Apr 8, 2013
blah

this has come up before but... if you apply a load between your haul loop and you belay loop with you in the middle... its really shitty. I think the haul loop has its place but unless you are wall climbing its a unnecessary strong chalkbag holder. if you are worried about things ripping off your non rated harness get a Safetech harness. I have two actually, the Comp, and the Waldo. for the record, I am not a gumby and will not try and belay you from my gear loop. However, I like knowing that it will hold a huge rack and all my other nonsense with out breaking a loop. It is not a sexy harness but god damn it is a strong and well engineered bit of kit. both have haul loops I use the waldo's for when out big walling, so the loop gets some use. the comp I use for multipitch and single pitch and the haul loop never gets used. both are solid and comfortable. I picked the comp because having two belay loops is stupid unless I am wall climbing or top rope soloing with two devices on two ropes or some other sillyness.

By NYClimber
From New York
Apr 8, 2013
Awesome slab climb right out of the water! Rogers Rock, Lake George, NY. Summer 2013.

I only use mine to: