How Fear of Failure can cause plateaus

masterrockclimber.com/fear-of-...

I hope you enjoy it.

Don

By C. Archibald
Sep 15, 2013
Me on some bolted 10 in boulder canyon
Seems fairly similar to Arno's ideas. That said, I will definitely buy the book when it is available. Fear or failure held me back climbing just yesterday. I wanted to red point this route because my girlfriend got it the week before. I cruised right through the crux and then fell on a stupidly easy move. I knew the route was incredibly safe. The fall posed no risk except to my ego. I was only afraid to fall because I was afraid to fail. Please post whenever this book is available for purchase!

By Mike McKinnon
From Golden, CO
Sep 16, 2013
Bunny pancake
Don McGrath wrote:
If you think that fear of failure holds you back in your climbing, you might find this article interesting. masterrockclimber.com/fear-of-... I hope you enjoy it. Don

nice article but the graph in that article is about the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Hey lets make it look scientific and add a graph :)

By Will S
From Joshua Tree
Sep 16, 2013
MacLeod covered performance anxiety in his book, and did so better than you've captured it, without the useless chart. Look, I'm an engineer, I dig visual/spacial representations and naturally learn more easily in that format, but that thing is just laughable.

And what's with the "New pyschology" bit? Pompous, overwrought, and incorrect. Nothing new about this concept.

By nicelegs
From Denver
Sep 16, 2013
Why do I cringe whenever people presume to tell me what I'm thinking when I climb?

By Mort
5 days ago
Will, Mike, C.A.,

Thanks for the comments, particularly regarding the graph. Yes, it's simple, but sometimes a picture is more effective than text. As a university professor and former software engineer, I know different things work for different people when it comes to learning and motivation. Plenty of what we offer is based on science - I've done some of the original research myself - so we weren't "trying to look scientific."

Regarding the newness of our material... perhaps Arno or Eric or Dave covered much of the ground in Don's short article, but I guarantee Vertical Mind covers fear of failure in greater depth and detail than any of the others - two full chapters. We also provide specific exercises to reduce it, rather than just saying "quit worrying about what other people think." Nevertheless, I really like Dave's treatment of those issues in 9 Out of 10 Climbers...

Finally, wouldn't it be weird to write a new book on a topic and not acknowledge the basics that other people have covered? The shortcoming would be if we offered nothing new!

Best,
Jeff Elison (Vertical Mind coauthor)