How cold is the rock in Central NC?

By Mike Belu
From Indianapolis, IN
Feb 9, 2014
Summit of Rainier.

Hello,

Has anyone been climbing at Pilot lately? Wondering how cold the rock is. I might end up in the area sometime over the next couple weeks. I'm assuming the routes at Moore's would still be too cold, but the bouldering might be OK?

Thanks,

Mike

By Jonathan Dull
From NC High County
Feb 9, 2014
Edge of a Dream

It really just depends on the temperature. You can climb anywhere in NC during the winter with a little sun and tenacity. Assuming it's not covered in ice. If the temperature is above 40 and sunny you'll have a nice day at Pilot or Moore's.

By Avalon
From East Longmeadow MA
Feb 9, 2014
Gunks

I'm not familiar with the area but I just climbed at Rumbling Bald Friday and the conditions were great! I'm from the Northeast so it felt like Spring to me!

By Ari Kantola
From Raleigh, NC
Feb 9, 2014
Yiihawww

Being that it has rained/snowed much more than normal for your average N.C winter, I would say Pilot mt. will be weeping. Moore's wall, however, will, imo, be much drier, and much more worth it. However Moore's wall is in the winter shade. The bouldering at Moore's should be fine, but maybe chilly....

Hope this helps, and hit me up if you need a partner

By ABG
From Winston-Salem, NC
Feb 9, 2014

As long as it is sunny it only takes pilot a day to dry out. Anything over 40 degrees will feel good there. Moores is much too cold for winter climbing unless the low is above 40 and the high above 55, imho. Bouldering at moores is good in all but the coldest temps. ie below 25.

By Mike Belu
From Indianapolis, IN
Feb 11, 2014
Summit of Rainier.

Thanks everyone for the info. Looks like the trip could be mid March. I should have a partner, but if anyone wants to join, just let me know. Should have better dates in a couple weeks. Trad, TR, bouldering, sport--my partner and I will climb low grades in all. We don't discriminate what mode of climbing we stink at, ha ha.

Thanks again,