Hooded baselayers: MEC T2 vs. Capilene 4 vs. NW Alpine SL

By Dave Bn
From Fort Collins, CO
Nov 1, 2012
Dreamweaver

Anyone have experience with two or more of the following?

1. Patagonia Cap 4 hoody
2. NW Alpine Spider Light hoody
3. MEC T2 hoody

I'd like a hooded layer that is less warm than an R1. Other than ordering all of three of these separately there's really no way to test them all out.

MEC is at the bottom of the list because it doesn't have thumb-loops but the price is pretty sweet. I've got a non-hooded cap 4 but it looks like the material is different this year.

Any other options I'm missing?

By Paolo Speirn
From Santa Fe, NM
Nov 1, 2012
topping out Out to Lunch" in the Sandias

There's a discussion of the Cap4 over at backpacking light, with mentions of the Spyder and T2. One user says Cap 4 is lighter than the Spyder; another didn't like the feel of the T2 against the skin. The whole thing is here:

www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thr>>>

By johnthethird
Nov 1, 2012

MEC has a few other options also
www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/Hoodies/PRD~5020-574/mec>>>

www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/Hoodies/PRD~5026-604/mec>>>

By Medic741
From Pittsford, New York
Nov 1, 2012
When I was a bum at Frey

Cap4 is the most over priced, slow to dry, heavy piece of gear I've ever used. Don't get it.

By Medic741
From Pittsford, New York
Nov 1, 2012
When I was a bum at Frey

By Graham Johnson
Nov 2, 2012

I have a MEC hoody that does have thumb loops - it's fucking awesome, for a lot less than just about any of the other options out there. I think mine is an older version of the T3 hoodie.

Go for MEC

By redlude97
Nov 2, 2012

Medic741 wrote:

Are you talking about the new Cap4 material though?

By Kirk Miller
From Golden, CO
Nov 2, 2012
Bugaboos, 1978 <br />Photo by Ken Trout

Dave Bn wrote:
Any other options I'm missing?

I really like my Radiant Hybrid Hoody from Outdoor Research.

By Tom T
Nov 2, 2012

The MEC site made my computer's anti-virus/malware go crazy.

By Dave Bn
From Fort Collins, CO
Nov 2, 2012
Dreamweaver

Tom T wrote:
The MEC site made my computer's anti-virus/malware go crazy.

Do you have Yahoo toolbar installed on you web browser? I emailed them about the same thing and they pointed to Y! Toolbar as the culprit, and they were right.

By Dave Bn
From Fort Collins, CO
Nov 2, 2012
Dreamweaver

Kirk Miller wrote:
I really like my Radiant Hybrid Hoody from Outdoor Research.

Yeah, the radiant seems to be about just as warm as an R1 though. I like that it has thinner material in the underarms though.

By Sunny-D
From SLC, Utah
Nov 2, 2012
Top of Jah-Man Sister Superior

Try the Rab Baseline Hoodie. I sold my Patagonia after I picked this thing up, I like it so much better.

By Dom
From New Brunswick Canada
Nov 2, 2012
Moby dick 5.11-

Are you sure the MEC T-2 doesn't have thumb loops? I have a 2 year old Mec T2 and it has thumb loops. I never used them though. I find it's a gimmick. YMMV. If I were you I'd get the Merino option that Johnthethird gave as other options.