Home wall, holds per square foot?

By Dan Felix
Feb 17, 2013

I'm starting to accumulate some holds in preparation for building a wall inside the house. The wall is 8' wide and 12' high, so just under 100 square feet without any overhangs, volumes, etc. Obviously, the more holds I have the more variety available (and I plan on adding holds as I can), but is there any sort of "standard" for holds per foot to make it work-able?

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
Feb 18, 2013
OMG, I winz!!!

As many as you can buy. I've kept adding more and more as I find good deals or holds I really want.

By Finn the Human
From The Land of Ooo
Feb 18, 2013
Mathematical!

This should be your goal:

Steven Jeffery's home wall.
Steven Jeffery's home wall.

By Chris Horton
From Tucson AZ
Feb 18, 2013
Awesomeness!

I started with 120 on a wall of the same dimensions as yours. I thought it was a good start. In fact, I havent added any except for foot chips.

By Andy Librande
From Denver, CO
Feb 18, 2013
Me in the Buddha Cave at crumblewood a while ago.

Don't buy a bunch of the same holds from the same manufacturer. Also break-it down by type based on your skill-level based on the angle of your wall as 100 holds may mean 100 jugs or 100 foot-chips, one obviously a bit more useful then the other.

Starting out I would keep it to just having enough for a few routes and adding more as you figure out what is missing.

So maybe 2-3 ending jugs, ~30 handholds, 10-15 foot jibs. For the handholds it is all about your skill level but having some easier holds is a better way to start.

Keep an eye out for sales as those are a good time to add a lot of holds to your wall.

Good reviews on some sets here: climbingholdreview.blogspot.com/

By Woodchuck ATC
Feb 18, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

2 per square foot...I don't like cluttered walls...

By Brad Caldwell
From Deep in the Jocassee Gorges
Feb 18, 2013

To me a home wall is about training for outdoor climbing, not a substitution for the outdoors...so I suggest focusing on a set of system holds, HIT strips are my favorite for upping my bouldering skills the fastest before a road trip, maybe a hangboard or some Rock Rings by Metolius, and then I'd set training routes around your typical red point ability. I set 2 below my limit, one at my limit and another a grade above my limit...I like to run laps on the first 3 and then spend the rest of the session working the project. Once I send the project and can start running laps on it, I take down the easiest route and set the next project in its place.

After setting up several walls at my last 3 houses, I noticed that if I just set random routes, I got bored with my wall and stopped climbing on it. If I use it strictly for training then it feels like a better investment for my time and I'm more willing to keep climbing on it regularly.

By Brad Caldwell
From Deep in the Jocassee Gorges
Feb 18, 2013

I also tend to buy a new set of holds when I set a new project route. I buy a set of my weakest grip and slightly smaller than my previous project route. This way I accumulate holds I'm more likely to use in the future instead of buying a bunch of random holds to start out with that end up not being as useful to help me reach the next grade or outdoor project.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Feb 18, 2013
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

+1 for everything Brad just said.

By Dan Felix
Feb 19, 2013

While I see Brad's point, I guess I should point out that there are (at times) 7 kids in the house ranging from almost 5 months old to 15 years. So the wall won't be for me alone, the kids will likely use it more than I will... At least that's kinda my hope!