Help with adventure in europe.

By Adub
Dec 29, 2012
Hello Mountain Project,

Any and all advice is appreciated,
Thanks MP!

By Jim Titt
From Germany
Dec 29, 2012
We need to know what time of year (if it isn´t open) and what sort of climbing (alpine, trad, sport etc).

By Kevinmurray
Dec 29, 2012
The Dolomites in north Italy. Stay in the huts, hike from hut to hut.Minimal gear great climbs.Eat and drink your way around. Two weeks is'nt enough time to do many big climbs.Nothing gets in the way of two weeks in europe like climbing.If your dad is paying full freight rent a car and go to Chamonix as well.Stay off toll roads and autobahns.

By Tomtomtomtom
Dec 29, 2012
Gorges de Verdon.
Its so beautiful many non climbers even go there for honeymoons. Add ultraclassic trad and sportclimbing and you're all set. Have at it, lovebirds!

By shotwell
Dec 29, 2012
Adub wrote:
Hello Mountain Project, I have been offered a wonderful gift by my father. He is going to pay for a honeymoon of my and my wife's choice. My wife and I are 30 and 35 respectively. We are thinking of spending time running amok in Europe. I have made several trips to Germany, Hungary, and Turkey. She spent 2 months backpacking across Europe when she was 18. We both got married while still in college (4 years ago) and as such did not go on a honey moon (Full time careers + full time college + three children = zero time). In short we have experience in travels to Europe but no climbing experience abroad. If you had 2 weeks to do and go anywhere you wanted what would you choose? (No children) We are no looking for posh hotels and easy relaxing. My wife and I both are more than comfortable camping out in the woods for extended periods of time eating beef jerky and purified shit water. I would like to hike/climb a classic mountain nothing to technical in order to keep the need for gear down to a minimum. My wife wants to see more cultural and historical aspects. Any and all advice is appreciated, Thanks MP!

My wife and I loved Paris and Font. Great trip, especially if you can get down to the south of France to sport climb somewhere like Buoux. Season matters though, so you'll have to let us know when you're thinking of going.

By Tom Fralich
From Fort Collins, CO
Dec 29, 2012
I second the Dolomites. Two weeks is actually not a lot of time, so I'd avoid trying to hit too many places. Get yourself in position somewhere and hit some classic routes when the weather is good.

By Adub
Dec 29, 2012
Yes, I know 2 weeks is not enough. But, it is what we both will be able to pull off with our employers. The time of year is open, however, my wife is leaning towards Italy. Trad is probably out of the question (too much gear to fly and carry all over). I am even open to try out some of the famed via feratta routes around the alps.

By adam brink
From Boulder, CO
Dec 29, 2012
Arlo in all his magnificence.
If you're into easy mountain routes and fia ferrata type stuff you should check out the Appenzeller region in Switzerland. It's east of Zurich and pretty stunning. With that said you will not go wrong with the Dolomites.

By Jim Titt
From Germany
Dec 30, 2012
I´d think about flying into Munich, some culture for herself (and beer naturally), down to Garmisch Partenkirchen to climb Germany´s highest peak there´s a via ferrata up and a train back down). Down to Salzburg for some more culture, over the Alps to the Dolomites for everything climbing wise. Side trips from there to Verona, Venice and Bologna for some more culture, over to Arco(also in part of the Dolomites) for lower-altitude sport climbing.
And back to Munich with some Frankenjura thrown in and to finish with more beer.
(If you need a trad rack I can probably help out though for most stuff you don´t need much really, I live in Munich anyway).

This way gives you more bad weather options than going right into the Alps at Chamonix for instance and more change of scenery and culture as well. June/July is best or Sept/Oct. August is crowded.

By sanz
From Raleigh, NC
Dec 30, 2012
One of my first trad leads, on Ooga Chocka at Crowder's Mountain.
You could make Barcelona your home base (lots of culture and good food), rent a car, climb in the numerous world-class sport crags in the area, and do some alpine stuff in the Pyrenees.