Help! Sterling Marathon Pro 10.1 or Bluewater Eliminator 10.2

By Austin Eddy
From Knoxville, TN
Apr 19, 2013

Just looking for some advice. Thanks a lot!

By Bill C.
From Fort Collins, CO
Apr 19, 2013

I own the Marathon and have used the Eliminator perhaps dozens of times. In my opinion, the Sterling is the better rope. Both will last a fairly long time, but I've found the Sterling to handle way better.

Both are great ropes, and while some might disagree with me, I think the sterling is the way to go.

By kennoyce
From Layton, UT
Climbing at the Gallery in Red Rocks

Austin03 wrote:
I'm looking to buy my first rope soon and I've found both of these for around 140. I will be doing mostly lead climbing, but decided I wouldn't mind a little bit of weight for my firsts rope as long as it is made up for in durability. Which of these ropes would you choose? The Sterling Marathon Pro is 2 g/m lighter (63 g/m vs 65 g/m), but the Bluewater Eliminator is rated for 8 UIAA falls whereas the Sterling is only rated for 6. Just looking for some advice. Thanks a lot!

Number of UIAA falls means absolutely nothing in the real world. Personally, I'd go for the sterling, it's lighter, it's a marathon which means it'll last longer, and I've had better luck with sterling than blue water.

By BobGray
From Salt Lake City, Utah
My Hero

Sterling marathon has been the best rope I've owned as well.

By Morgan Patterson
Stoked...

kennoyce wrote:

I will no longer purchase a Sterling rope... just not durable AT ALL IMO. Just had a new 60m Velocity get cut halfway through after a hand size hold broke and landed on the rope from 15ft up. This was the second rope of theirs that got cuts very easily... They're just not that durable anymore has been my conclusion. I am looking at Mammut right now as an alternative the I'd love to compare the velocity and marathon in person though.

By bearbreeder
Apr 19, 2013

People who are comparing two ropes of similar diameters can usually see this in the test results—Mammut publishes the % of each ropes weight that is sheath so that people can judge for themselves what rope they will be happiest with. If you fall a lot, choose a rope with a high fall rating; if you don’t fall that much then choose a ropes with a thicker sheath (and if the manufacturer doesn’t publish that info call them and ask for it!). If you climb both abrasive rock and you fall alot, then think about how you wore out your last rope—if it went flat 10 or 15 feet from the ends, then get the rope with the high fall rating for the size and if the rope just fuzzed up to the point it felt sketchy or fat or lost its dry treatment, then concentrate on a rope with a thick sheath and a compact weave.

www.highinfatuation.com/blog/straight-from-the-mammoths-mout>>>

;)

By Ryan Nevius
From The Range of Light
Mt. Agassiz

I have nothing bad to say about the Eliminator. I've owned a couple and they have been great.

By The Lingering Fart
Apr 19, 2013

"Eliminator" is up there with the worst possible names for a climbing rope.

Maybe the "Decapitator" would be worse.

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
tanuki

Sterling. Hands down, no question. It is BY FAR the more durable rope.

By kennoyce
From Layton, UT
Climbing at the Gallery in Red Rocks

CaptainMo wrote:

That's crazy. I haven't had either a blue water or a sterling in a few years, but I have owned both an eliminator and a marathon in the past, and I know that the eliminator got fuzzy much more quickly than the marathon. I have however heard several recent accounts of velocities that have worn out quickly, so I don't know if it is a velocity thing, or a newer sterling thing.

By Mattberr
From utah
uintas

I had a sterling marathon for a few weeks, hated it and sold it. I have had great luck with bluewater and I own three of their ropes, all of them have held up great after years of use. To each their own I guess...

By Larry S
Apr 19, 2013
The wife and I road-trippin on the Connie.

In my experience, the sterling's (i only have experience w/ the evolution series, not the marathons) have more durable sheaths, but the trade off is they get stiff and wiry sooner - they're great if you're dragging it over a lot of abrasive rock.

The blue water ropes (I've owned the 10.5 and a 10.3) have much higher fall ratings and stay soft and supple w/ a good catch, but the sheaths fuzz up faster - not to imply they wear out quickly, but just not as well as the sterling.

Personally i'd rate the sterling as a little more durable. The sterling's also are a little stiffer for clipping, which is nice.

By Morgan Patterson
Stoked...

kennoyce wrote:

It's probably more of the velocity thing I suspect but either way... I'm out. Too many other brands with great quality ropes.

By Finn the Human
From The Land of Ooo
Mathematical!

Sterling makes a good, durable rope.

Captain Mo- obviously I don't know the details of your situation, but it seems to me that dropping a rock onto a rope from 15 feet up is a good way to damage any rope, regardless of brand.

By Cruxic
From Corvallis, OR
Monkey Face - Smith Rock OR

I owned an Eliminator and it was my least favorite rope ever. Rather stiff and twist prone and I suspect it wore through my biners more than other ropes. I have no experience with Sterling.

By Sam Stephens
Top half of Melifluous

CaptainMo wrote:

I'm sorry, but that's just dumb. You dropped something with potentially sharp edges that probably weighed around 3-5 pounds from 15' up onto a something soft and made of nylon that was laying on something else hard and unyielding and you expect it to not damage it?

That's about like saying "I won't buy Nature's Own Bread anymore because I dropped a rock on it from 15' up and my sandwich got smushed."

FWIW, I've had 2 Velocities in the past 5 years and my girlfriend has another. They're great ropes and hold up well from my experience. At minimum we're out 2 weekends a month on them and climb everything. New River Gorge sandstone, NC granite/choss, Colorado choss, Devils Tower, Vedauwoo, Red River Gorge sandcrap etc etc

By KathyS
From Poughkeepsie, NY
Apr 19, 2013
Me at the summit of Inner Course (5.4) in the Outlets.  Long, lovely, mellow route.  Well protected even.  My favorite lead from the trip.

Eric G. wrote:
"Eliminator" is up there with the worst possible names for a climbing rope. Maybe the "Decapitator" would be worse. edit: I see Blue Water actually has a rope called the "Accelerator." Good jeebus do they need some fresh blood in marketing over there!

Petzl must use the same marketing guy. If I were selling rope, I would not name one the "Fuse".

:^)

By NYClimber
From New York
Apr 25, 2013
Awesome slab climb right out of the water! Rogers Rock, Lake George, NY. Summer 2013.

I tried 2 Sterling Evolution Velocity 9.8mm Ropes and I hated both of them. My Mammut's that cost about $40 LESS handled better, wore better, tied and untied knots more easily - and I found the Sterling to constantly want to kink and twist every time I used it - no matter WHAT I tried. I even called Sterling to discuss this issue with them and tried everything they told me to try - to no avail.

So now I buy only Mammut ropes. My Mammut's cost less and wear like iron, take a beating and still look great - and I use mine 2-3x per week!

By John E. Payne
From Uvalde, TX
Apr 26, 2013

I don't have any experience with the Eliminator, but I absolutely love my Marathon. I have used it regularly for both lead climbing and TR at Enchanted Rock in south Texas. The granite here is really sharp, and the Marathon has help up really well. Just my 2 cents.

By Dave Cummings
From Grand Junction, CO
Apr 26, 2013
me on my redpoint

Both are great Ropes, If it is your first rope I would actually look at the Bluewater Slimline Elete, it is basically an Eliminator with an extra durable sheath, it is the rope I use on big wall missions because I know it will take the abuse of jugging for days at a time, I also use it for guiding because I know I can put it up as a TR and it will be fine for lots and lots of abuse, super bomber rope, check it out

By Gif Zafred
From Pittsburgh, PA
Apr 26, 2013
Gif on Bimbo Shrine, Kaymoor

Big fan of Sterling ropes. Started with a Marathon Sport. Now have a Marathon Pro and love it. Will be buying another one soon when the current one is shot.

By John Herreshoff
From Ann Arbor, MI
Apr 26, 2013

I also have a Bluewater Eliminator 10.2 as my first rope and it has served us well.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Apr 26, 2013
OTL

^^After all of the responses -- Well, the OP seems to have a straightforward answer now, right?

They suck. They're great. No the other one sucks...no its great.

By Jeremy Hand