HELP! Road trip suggestions

By Kevin W. Corcoran
Dec 11, 2008

I was planning on leaving for Bishop tomorrow from Oregon, but just saw that Bishop has a High Wind Advisory in effect for tomorrow night, saying that "driving on 395 will be very hard" (this is the road south in Bishop.

Need suggestions on an alternate bouldering destination until the weather clears! Red rocks? Something in SoCal? Where is the weather good right now? Help! Much appreciated,

--Kevin

By Jonathan Williams
From Palo Alto, CA
Dec 12, 2008
Me.

go anyway! 395 is flat and straight... mostly. plus you'll have to drive down 395 to get down the eastern sierras anyway

By SAL
From broomdigiddy
Dec 12, 2008
good times. <br />

could always go to joshua tree. Its never too cold to boulder there :)

By Kevin W. Corcoran
Dec 12, 2008

Jonathan Williams wrote:

There is no way I am taking my truck into 70 mph winds in the mountains.

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Dec 12, 2008

I guess it depends on how long you're traveling for. There's supposed to be some precipitation in So Cal this weekend moving thru with a cold front, so Josh will be cold. But that could also affect Bishop since the snow level is supposed to drop considerably. Also, Josh and Bishop aren't exactly close. Sure, you have to head back up in that direction anyways, but if it's a short trip, that's a lot of driving.

By JLP
From The Internet
Dec 12, 2008

It's winter. Try skiing or ice climbing or something.

By Ian F.
From Phx
Dec 12, 2008

I don't see anything that says 70mph winds. 15 to 20. Go for it. It is your fastest way down. It really isn't that bad. It will be its worst right around mamaoth, but after that the mountians will block the majority of the winds. Besides it's desert, and it's a beutiful drive. go for it. And the winds won't stop either no matter where you go they will stay in front of the storm. So take the scenic route.

By Peter Franzen
From Phoenix, AZ
Dec 12, 2008
Belay

Jeez-- is everybody from Portland going down to Bishop this week? I know a dozen people who are either already there or are on their way right now.

By Brad "Stonyman" Killough
From Alabama
Dec 12, 2008
Knife Crack

The southeast is nice for climbing this time of year....!

By Kevin W. Corcoran