Help Me Plan My 1st CO Trip

By Eero46
Feb 15, 2013

Hey I am reaching out the CO community to help develop a great first trip! I will in Golden from March 15-19. I would really like my days to be filled with awesome experiences. While around Golden I would like to do some bouldering in RMNP, hike a 14er (prefer a less traveled one), do another day hike, and boulder at a really beautiful spot. I am willing to drive a little to reach locations. Just staying in Golden because i can for free. Please help me with ideas!

By AlanJ
From Longmont, CO
Feb 15, 2013
Thats me after a pretty stiff 5.7 or as the locals have come to call it...a lake 5.7

Hey pal, for bouldering i would recommend the lions den up in lyons. It's off the beaten path but nothing too far with lots of problems in a small area or, of course, flagstaff in boulder. Flagstaff will destroy your finger tips so its not really an all day bouldering place although I'm sure tons of people do. 14ers in march are going to be a bit different. Unless you are bringing up crampons and a mountaineering axe, I would maybe void that idea until later. I'm sure you could do MT. Elbert and maybe be alright but some technical snow gear would be a good idea...ie crampons. If you are in the area and want to someone to boulder with let me know man. i'm about 3 miles from lyons.

By Leo Paik
From Westminster, Colorado
Feb 15, 2013

March 15-19 will be subject to the whims of weather when it comes to planning a climbing trip to CO. It could be rain, snow, sun, warm, or cold. So, weather will have a huge influence.

Easy first: 14'er, none will be heavily traveled at that time. All will have significant snow issues to consider. Avalanche issues will likely be a factor to consider. You'll probably need to have some sort of floatation (e.g. snowshoes) which you can rent at Bent Gate and ski poles (which you can rent most any ski place or maybe at Bent Gate). Almost all will start at 8-10K elevation, so they will have snow pretty close to the get go. It'll be cold for sure up top, if you get high.

Hikes: There'll be plenty of hikes in the Flatirons (some parking areas charge $5) near Boulder at lower elevation 5-8K. NCAR off Table Mesa will have free access. Shorter but nice hikes in Golden Gate Canyon SP ($7 fee/day). Rocky Mt. National Park will have good hiking with some having fees, some not. Lumpy Trailhead or McGraw Ranch or Long's Peak (will have snow) will be free.

Climbing: there'll be tons. Lots of options in the Flatirons. Tiny sport and gear routes at N. Table Mt. if it isn't particularly warm. 1-4 pitch mostly sport options in Clear Creek Canyon, often soft grades, stay on the North side (sunny). 1-4 pitch options in Boulder Canyon, often soft grades, stay on the North side (sunny). Eldorado Canyon SP has great options 1-7 pitch, mostly gear routes, $7 / day fee. South Platte has tons of granite options 1-12 pitch. Challenges in finding some areas, some with decent approaches, many with stiff grades.

There'll be way more than you can fit in during a 5 day trip or even a 3 month trip.

Have fun.

By CJC
Feb 15, 2013

boulder in Morrison it's hella close to golden and pretty hq

By fossana
From Bishop, CA
Feb 15, 2013
downclimb off the First Flatiron <br />photo by TooTallTim

Leo Paik wrote:

correction: $8 per day

Also, here's a list of the Flatirons trailheads that charge a fee.

You can rent mountaineering gear and crash pads at Neptune if needed.

By Eero46
Feb 15, 2013

So it looks like climbing a 14er is off the chart because I do not have experience that prepares me for climbing at that time of year.

I need some help narrowing down all my awesome choices:
1.) What would be a great hike to hike around a base of a 14er that time of year.
2.) What are some awesome bouldering locations with great scenery? My girlfriend is a photographer and would like to do some work while I boulder nearby.