Help me escape my Family vacation!

By RoughneckNine0
From Brookline, MA
Mar 7, 2014

Hey guys,

I'll be in Palm Springs on a family vacation from the 17th to the 21st and I *know* I'm going to need to get away from the family together-ness time. Getting to climb in JT would be amazing.

As far as gear, all I'll be bringing is shoes/harness. As far as skills, I'll admit I'm mostly a gym rat. I've led up to 5.10 and TR 5.11b/c.

I'd love to climb outdoors and I'd feel comfortable trying pretty much anything.

(What I'd *really* love is for someone to teach me anchor building and trad placement but that's probably not going to happen for free).

Reply here or send me a PM and I'd love to set something up!

Ben

By drmartindell
From Homer, Ak
Mar 7, 2014

Have your parents drop you off at Hidden Valley Campground, make friends there, climb 5.11 in Josh.

By Maurice Chaunders
Mar 7, 2014
Colombian Crack

Go climb some 5.9 slab in J Tree. It's great. You'll love it. Super mellow

By Woodchuck ATC
Mar 7, 2014
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Caution: underage runaway threat!! But seriously, ideas above sound great,,,lots of climbers near campground to find a partner for the day.

By Nick Grant
From Natick, MA
Mar 7, 2014
A photo of me on Across the Universe taken by the Strandman back in '83.

Hey Roughneck, yes, you can learn to place gear and make safe anchors for free. Like Doc Martin said, just go and hang out at Hidden Valley Campground. Find someone who has a rack, has no partner, and wants to climb. Tell him (or her) that you can follow 5.10, and go have fun. You'll learn to lead in a day by watching leaders—it's not a big deal.

Then you can blow all of your hard-earned money buying your own rack, and, Voila!, you're a broke, dirtbag, trad climber.

By clay meier
Mar 7, 2014
Thats Me

Meeting people on the internet is how you end up at the bottom of a pit with some dude telling you to put lotion on. Also you're going to die.

By Adam Stackhouse
Mar 8, 2014
Courtright Reservoir, September 2013

Woodchuck ATC wrote:

Kinda funny, I read this as a husband type trying to get away from the wife and kids

By Michael Z
Mar 8, 2014

Adam I read it the same way... Interesting.

Lets get a pool going. 5 bucks on the runaway husband. Any takers for underage runaway?

Roughneck, go for it. 5.9 josh slab is comparable to most gym climbs ive done ;)
(but actually, hidden valley or indian cove would be great places to try. for starters, if youve only got one day, i might head toward Indian cove. lots of moderates, nice people avoiding the crowds of hidden valley areas.. Who knows, you might just find somebody willing to share some knowledge. Keep an open mind, and stay humble. If you dont, J-tree rock will do it for you. quickly.)

By drmartindell
From Homer, Ak
Mar 8, 2014

"...I'd feel comfortable trying pretty much anything."

My vote is 14-17 year old boy...who has never been to Joshua Tree. :)

By Adam Stackhouse
Mar 8, 2014
Courtright Reservoir, September 2013

This sounds like fun!

By RoughneckNine0
From Brookline, MA
Mar 10, 2014

Once we get a bit more in the pot, I'll let you know who the winner is.

By G Halsne
Mar 10, 2014

Hey ladysuit bait! Ill be in the high desert mon/tues the 17th/18th... 100% sport, but hey, its on rock, in the sun!

Pm me if you wanna clip bolts

Grae

By RoughneckNine0
From Brookline, MA
Mar 13, 2014

SO I guess dmart was the closest...

23yo man (boy level maturity), unruly neckbeard, and never been to JT.

bumpin this b/c I'd still love to have someone teach me anchors/trad placement.

By peter heekin
Mar 14, 2014

I wil be in Palm Springs on a family vacation starting this Sat. I will have a trad rack and rope and draws. message me if you want to climb this coming week.