Helmet Designed for BOTH Climbing AND Biking?

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Sep 11, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

Yello,

Is there something on the market that is suitable for both climbing and biking: I know that we are talking about two completely different sorts of impacts here, but I am just curious. Has someone designed a hybrid yet?

Would like protection for multi-pitch trad and when downtown, trying to catch the F-Line on my Raleigh.

Would rather not have to buy/own two helmets.

Thanks,
-Jon

By trese
From Boulder and Innsbruck, Austria
Sep 11, 2012
Tyrol

On the official Petzl Meteor3 page it says:

"Meets international standards for mountaineering and European standards for cycling and whitewater sports"

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Sep 11, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

muchos gracias.

By Suzy N
From Broomfield, CO
Sep 11, 2012
Indian Creek

I had the Kong Scarab for many many years, it's 4-sport certified: "The Scarab is EN-rated for climbing, kayaking, cycling, and equestrian use (though not skiing, apparently), allowing you to save money by using one Kong rather than a quiver of specialized, single-sport helmets." I bought mine when it was only $65 but now it's over $130 so I didn't want to spend that much money on another one, but I absolutely loved mine, it was super-light, comfy, and adjustable.

By Ian Stewart
Sep 11, 2012

Just curious, why are you against buying/owning 2 helmets? Obviously not having to store multiple helmets would be good, but was cost a factor? A Meteor3 helmet is over $100 while you can pick up both an Elios for climbing and a cheaper bike helmet for probably less. I've never worn a Meteor3, but I'm not sure a climbing helmet is something I'd want to wear on my bike around town...

By bearbreeder
Sep 11, 2012

plenty of people around here bike to the local crags ...

By Vaughne
Sep 11, 2012

I have nine helmets. Just sayin'

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Sep 11, 2012
Bocan

Vaughne wrote:
I have nine helmets. Just sayin'

Yep in between boarding, climbing and biking I probably have 7-8 which is mildly excessive.

I'm sure you could get away with it, but I'd personally stay with sport specific head gear. I mean we are talking about your dome piece. It's like buying cheap avalance gear in my opinion.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Sep 11, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

Ian Stewart wrote:

It is mainly a question of keeping my gear pile to a minimum. As much as I love being a gear whore... I want to minimize my consumption of stuff in general. Just thought it might be worth checking into.

Suzy N wrote:

Both this and the Petzl Meteor III look like they'd do just fine, however...I would much prefer the option to own something that is as size specific as possible in lieu of a "one size fits all" scenario, because IME, "one size does not fit all".

bearbreeder wrote:
plenty of people around here bike to the local crags ...

If highway 6 weren't such a cluster fnck, I would do this every week.

By Medic741
From Pittsford, New York
Sep 12, 2012
When I was a bum at Frey

Kali for bike

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Sep 12, 2012

Except for maybe the new BD Vapor I would never want to wear a climbing helmet biking. Too bloody hot and unvented, which the vapor has some gnarly big vents in the back but it's not rated for biking.

By wankel7
From Indiana
Sep 12, 2012

Ian Stewart wrote:

Because the elios is a hard hat while the meteor is a helmet in my opinion. If you flip upside down during a lead fall and hit the back of your head the meteor will do a lot more to protect than the elios.

By Ian Stewart
Sep 12, 2012

wankel7 wrote:

By wankel7
From Indiana
Sep 13, 2012

Ian Stewart wrote:
Not really sure why that was directed towards me, and I'm not even sure I understand your opinion, either. I've never felt like my Elios lacks protection on the back of my head, and I feel it would protect me as well as the Meteor in the situation you described. The meteor is more expensive because it's lighter, more vented, and (possibly?) more comfortable...I don't think it's any safer (and in fact, many reviews put "more delicate" in the con list for the meteor). What makes you think otherwise? If I needed a helmet for climbing and one for biking and was given $100, I'd still buy an Elios and a bike helmet over the Meteor. Even if the Meteor is nicer than the Elios to climb with, I think a regular bike helmet would be far better than the Meteor to bike with.

The elios offers a thin plastic shell and no expanded styrofoam on the back side. It will do little more than offer abrasion protection to the back of your head. The only expanded foam in he elios is on the top of the helmet.

The meteor has expanded styrofoam protecting the back of your skull. The expanded styrofoam protects your skull.

You would have to hold both helmets to compare them to fully understand how the back of your head is much more covered in a meteor style helmet.

If what i was saying was false the elios would be rated as a bike helmet too. But since it only protects you from rock fall it cant be.

My girlfriend got a mild concussion in a fall wearing an elios when she hit the side of her head where there is no styrofoam to protect. Just the thin plastic shell of the helmet. She now climbs with a meteor and i regret wasting money on the elios.