Headed to the Albuquerque

By Mickey Hardt
Jan 18, 2013
Going to be in Albuquerque area over Memorial Day 2013 (May 25-?) for a wedding. Don't know anyone in the area but have been scoping the Sandia's on MP for a while now.

Looking for a trad/sport climbing partner for a day!
please message me for more information, I compotentenly lead through 5.9 trad follow up to 5.12.

By Ryan Curry
Jan 18, 2013
The Sandias top out at over 10,000', I believe. I visited in April a couple years back and my friend and I found that a lot of the approaches were impassable due to snow/ice.

That said, a local could possibly give you the beta on some stuff lower and sunnier. Good luck!

By Mike Rowley
From Boise, Idaho
Jan 19, 2013
I was in the Sandias last May and we were waist deep in snow on the approach. The La Luz trail was decently clear, but if you take any of the climbers trails they will be impossible to follow due to snow. Good luck.

By Alex Washburne
Jan 19, 2013
I eat crack for breakfast.
Play it by ear - you will definitely be able to climb in Lower La-Cueva, and it's still possible to climb the upper cliffs in May even if there's an unlpeasant approach through some dirty, slushy snow. I won't be in town, but best of luck!!!

By Ken Jones
From Grants, NM
Jan 19, 2013
hanging between climbs
Send me a pm before you get into town and we can maybe we can get together and climb. If the Sandias don't work out there are many other places to climb. The snow was deep last May.

By George Perkins
From Los Alamos, NM
Jan 19, 2013
I'm not a crusher; I just spray a lot.
I climbed in the Sandias last spring on April 28 (Bush Shark / Echo Canyon area) and May 14 (Torreon). Snow was a non-issue on approaches and was non-existent on the climbs. I've had good luck/conditions as far as weather & snow in Mays of previous years as well (Thumb, Muralla Grande, some others). Though the conditions aren't totally reliable at that time, I'd expect Memorial Day is likely to be a great time to be there.

By LeeAB
From ABQ, NM
Jan 19, 2013
Once we landed we headed to Font to find a place to stay for the night before doing a day of wine tasting and heading to Buoux.
Last year Sandia Peak ski area got the most snow in the state, so yeah the approaches had a bit more snow than usual later into the spring. This year, so far, there has been almost none, I feel sorry for the ski area, they are hurting, but if it dumps in February or March....

Some approaches face north and others face south, some have more tree coverage than others....

By Mickey Hardt
Jan 19, 2013
Thanks everyone for the responses thus far, wasn't thinking too much about alititude, stupidly or perhaps since everything where I am is pretty close to sea level...

I will do some more season and topographic research. Will be in touch with those of you who express intrest in joining forces!