Hat's Off to CO Regional SAR Teams

By Buff Johnson
May 9, 2010
smiley face

Forwarded with permission.

I have just learned that 5 SAR teams along the front range have earned NASAR's Valor Award for efforts in saving the life of a fallen climber in 2009. I believe this national award has been given only 2 other times. The teams will be presented the honor later this month.

I believe there's also some highlights that may be showing up in periodicals.

It was an effort on the Crestone Needle to Peak traverse during the dark, at altitude, with exposure, under threat of storm & hypothermic condition, and in which couldn't be afforded a safe heli access & extraction.

The teams involved:

Custer County SAR Team
Douglas County SAR Team
El Paso County SAR Team
Rocky Mountain Rescue Group
Alpine Rescue Team

Other Agencies in Coordination:

CSRB (Col Search & Rescue Board)
Flight For Life - St Anthony's Hospitals
AFRCC (Air Force Rescue Coord Ctr)
USAF (US Air Force) Kirtland AFB -- 512 RQS and 505 SOS

The criteria for consideration are no small endeavor:

• The action ... clearly must be shown to have been out of the ordinary, beyond the reasonably expected behavior in undertaking a search and rescue activity.

• The action must be shown to have alleviated a situation in which a "[climber]" was in substantial peril, with the high potential for life-threatening injury or death.

• The action must be shown to have occurred in such a way that in successfully carrying out the action, the nominee was required to place himself or herself in a situation potentially resulting in serious injury or death. However, it must be shown that the behavior on the part of the nominee did not exceed the bounds of good judgment and did not constitute reckless endangerment of his or her own well being or that of others.

Please extend your note of thanks to these people when you can as I know they work very hard to help save the lives of many climbers and help bring comfort to families when they are involved.

By Joe Cappiello
May 9, 2010

Way to go guys!! All of these SAR teams deserve more accolades than are ever given. Thank you for your vigilance, your caring, and for simply being there. Hats off indeed to these brave folks!!!

By Evan S
From Erie, CO
May 9, 2010
Me, of course

I got rescued once, not an epic like that, but my gratitude was no less grand, thanks to all and I hope to be one of you someday.

By Craig Quincy
May 9, 2010

Thanks you for all you do! Congratulations on the award!

By coop
From Glenwood Springs, CO
May 10, 2010
Indian Creek Climbing

Hat's off to all of the SAR teams out there. Thank you!

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
May 11, 2010
Bocan

+1 to all SAR teams...may I NEVER meet you, except for over a beer or next to you at a climb!

By tenpins
May 11, 2010

word is this is only the 4th time this has been awarded in just over 30 years.

By Leah Miller
May 11, 2010

Scott McMahon wrote:

+1 well said - I concur

By Cindy Mitchell
May 11, 2010
Racking up for the 3rd pitch of Ruper

wow, 4th time only?

Congrats to the teams.

By Buff Johnson
May 11, 2010
smiley face

Saw kind of a cool "V" for valor depiction from the Camera.

The tele may be offering something, I saw a quick blurb on the 9news over the web, but can't find it now, could be the snowstorm (I know, big news in Colorado, it's gonna snow). Speaking of which, SnoDale put something together for Alpine that has the entire recap & press release if anyone wants to look at it from the team site. I don't know if my Boulder mates have something up on it, also (& really I should say the 5 teams also -- but I don't know everybodys' websites).

Cin -- I think the other valor awards were only 2; for separate heli rescues. I don't know the specifics of those. Which would really make this a first for any type of a ground-based rescue under this type of agency designation.

By Derek W
May 13, 2010
First summit of First Flatiron

Here is the picture I think you were referring to Mark. I am trying to get the NASAR write up posted up too.

Valor
Valor

By AJS
From Boulder, CO
May 13, 2010
In the sea of Cortez - Baja California, Mexico

www.rockymountainrescue.org/2010-NASAR-Valor-Award-Nominatio>>>

Here's the full description of the rescue - definitely worth a read!

-Adam

By tenpins
May 13, 2010

Cindy Mitchell wrote:
wow, 4th time only? Congrats to the teams.

Correction:)

"The award will be presented at the National Association for Search and Rescue,(NASAR), Conference in Tunica, Mississippi on May 13th, 2010. This award was created by NASAR in 1977 and has only been awarded twice over the past 33 years."

By AJS
From Boulder, CO
May 13, 2010
In the sea of Cortez - Baja California, Mexico

www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_15041167

By Buff Johnson
May 17, 2010
smiley face

Further, May 16-22 is designated Natl SAR Week by US Senate Resolution:

Forwarded from Mike "Gator" Gauthier, former Chief Climbing Ranger at Mt. Rainier -- On Friday May 14, the U.S. Senate unanimously passed Resolution 526 which honors the men and women who perform Search and Rescue throughout the United States. The Resolution specifically acknowledges the role that professionals and volunteers provide to our country, and sets aside the week of May 16 to May 22, 2010 as National Search and Rescue week. Also, it encourages the people of the United States to observe and hold ceremonies and activities that promote awareness and appreciation of the role SAR personnel provide for their communities.

“As an avid hiker and mountaineer, I take steps to prepare myself and minimize my risk whenever I pack for a trip,” Senator Cantwell said. “But I understand that no amount of preparation can protect you from an accidental misstep or an unforeseen circumstance, and it is often the swift response of trained search and rescue personnel that makes the difference between tragedy and survival. Every day in Washington state and across our nation, these brave volunteers exemplify courage, commitment and compassion in performing their duties. Today, we have passed a small act of recognition for their heroic efforts.”

U.S. Senator Maria Cantwell (D-WA); also sponsored by Senators Patty Murray, Mike Crapo, Jeff Bingaman, Barbara Boxer, Mike Enzi, Lisa Murkowski, and Ron Wyden.

...encourages the people of the United States to observe this week with appropriate ceremonies and activities that promote awareness and appreciation of the role that search and rescue personnel perform in their communities ‘‘so that others may live’’.

By phil broscovak
May 18, 2010
Dreamin' Dawg

Three cheers for the SAR folks.
May they always be there when needed most.