Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Has anyone else had AC separation surgery? Looking for ideas on rehab time.

By Mac Lupton
Jan 18, 2014
Tangerine Dream

Hello all,
On December 14 last month, I took a hard, fast fall while snowboarding. Long story short I came out of mid air inverted, and landed directly on my right shoulder. Anyways, I had about a grade 4 separation, all the ligaments completely shredded and torn. I had surgery 9 days after the accident, and they put a screw into my collar bone, and through my coracoid process to bring the shoulder back up into place. Im currently 4 weeks out of surgery, and scheduled to have a second surgery to remove the screw the last week of February, or 9 weeks post surgery. I come here asking if anyone else has had this operation, or a similar operation, and how their recovery time was to get back to climbing. A lot of other people in threads I have read opted to not have surgery, but maybe their injuries weren't as quite sever. Any tips and advice would be awesome.

P.S. Try not to get hurt in December. At least in Southern California, prime climbing season is right around the corner, and I might be sidelined..

By Mac Lupton
Jan 18, 2014
Tangerine Dream

Heres The before and after

Before and After
Before and After

By omcmahon
From Nashua, NH
Jan 18, 2014
me

I had an AC separation about 15 years ago. I never had any surgery on it. It took years before it felt normal again and it's never been as good as new, but it doesn't keep me from surfing or climbing so it worked out ok. It was a long time before I could do push ups and chin ups without hurting but now it seems fine.

By Mac Lupton
Jan 18, 2014
Tangerine Dream

omcmahon wrote:

Dang that is what I fear most is not being able to sustain bodyweight in those excercises.

By Paul Trendler
From Bend, Oregon
Jan 18, 2014
 VOTCD. Photo  by <a href='http://Tylerroemer.com' target='_blank' rel='nofollow' >Tylerroemer.com</a>

By Brad Hensley
Jan 19, 2014

By Micah Kurtz
Jan 19, 2014

I had a grade two separation from snowboarding as well. If I remember correctly I was in a sling for about 6 weeks, pt for another 6 weeks then easy climbing after that. Good luck!

By Mac Lupton
Jan 19, 2014
Tangerine Dream

Brad Hensley wrote:
I had a grade 4 as well and opted to have surgery. My procedure was different - they removed the end of my collar bone (the cartilage was apparently destroyed) and used my ligaments to connect the bone to a different part of my shoulder blade. I did physical therapy for 6 months or so and then was cleared to resume activities as long as they didn't cause pain. I didn't climb at the time, but 3 years down the road I didn't notice a difference between my shoulders (actually, the one that was operated on is now a little more flexible than the normal one because of the therapy). Good luck! I suspect you'll be back out there with no problem soon. I get the impression that with a 4 surgery is the only way to go to get any kind of recovery.

Awesome. Ive heard of this procedure, and one where instead of placing a screw through the bones, they use kevlar wire and will basically tie the bone down. And yeah I can't imagine not having surgery with a grade 4. You can see from the picture how out of place my shoulder was, and without surgery it would have never gone back

By Mac Lupton
Jan 19, 2014
Tangerine Dream

Paul Trendler wrote:
Whoa! I didn't even know there was a 4th degree separation... I have only heard of three levels I have had 2nd degree separations in both my shoulders, one year apart. Suffice to say I don't try to ride handrails snowboarding anymore. From what it sounds like, you are definitely sidelined for a while. Go see a good PT, get the excercises dialed, and stay motivated! Best of luck on your recovery.

Awesome, thank you. And yeah neither did I until I got the X-ray!!!

By Douglas F Tomlinson
Mar 1, 2014

I am interested in having the Bosworth screw surgery. Can you give me the contact info of the clinic that did your work and tthe doctor. I am running out of time to get the best healing results. Thanks

By Mac Lupton