Happy 10 year anniversary! Roll Call!
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Darren Mabe
From Flagstaff, AZ
Dec 12, 2012
wham bam hand jam. Wrapping up the final moves of Twist of Fate, Oak Creek Canyon. <br /> <br />photo: Blake McCord

Today marks 10 years since i have been a member of mountainproject, (actually, climbingboulder.com before 2005), even though I posted anonymously in 2001 and 2002. "Lunchmoney" was my first route contribution to the database.

any other ol'skoolers still active on MP? I know you're out there... Tony? Ben?

By J. Thompson
From denver, co
Dec 12, 2012
Trundling a death block. Photo by Dan Gambino.

Guilty.
Hangover Overhang was my first contribution.

Time flies....

josh

By Burt Lindquist
From Madison, WI
Trying to stay warm up on Brownstone Wall Red Rocks, NV

Ha! Jan 1st 2002... first route.... "The Monster" DLSTP WI

By Charles Vernon
From Tucson, AZ
Dec 12, 2012

I am not sure what my first contribution was. A whole bunch say "January 1, 2001." I added a bunch of early stuff for Eldo and Lumpy. Kind of embarrassing or humbling when you see the Eldo legends who've joined the site since then!

By Andy Laakmann
Site Landlord
From Bend, OR
Dec 12, 2012
Racked and loaded... name that splitter behind me? Hint, its on Supercrack Buttress

All you old timers pre-date me! :) - despite what my profile says.

By Derek Lawrence
From Bailey
Cocaine Corner

Jan 1, 2001 is the earliest date for me...

makes me feel old!

By Mark Hammond
From Eldorado Springs, CO
Dec 12, 2012

Yup, June 2001 was my first route contribution. "Dream Street Rose"
Time flies. I wonder if that one is ready for an "Alzheimer's onsight" yet?

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Sure, I can belay

Mark Hammond wrote:
Yup, June 2001 was my first route contribution. "Dream Street Rose" Time flies. I wonder if that one is ready for an "Alzheimer's onsight" yet?

Thought this was called a 'deja vu'

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO

Darren Mabe wrote:
any other ol'skoolers still active on MP? I know you're out there... Tony? Ben?

Some time in Y2K or 2001.
Joseffa pointed out the site to me. I posted a few routes but I wasn't digital back then - I was shooting slides. I forget how but I ended up with Mike Komarnitsky and Ben Mottinger who asked about filling in some obscure route info and some pics. They got a slide scanner hooked up at their place and I took over a projector and slides and printed photos. We went through and scanned some stuff and put it on the site. That appears to have been on Nov 6 2001, as I think Ben M put them on line while we were there and there are lots of photos attributed to me are on that date, all "framed" by black lines as a result of the scanner. I'm not sure that it all got tracked - there were no points, no dates, no ticklist, etc in the early days.

I can't recall the details on some other stuff, but they had a Climbing Moab and Climbing SLC mirror site back then, and maybe a climbing Bay area about the time we were talking. I suggested that I could help a lot with Jtree if they wanted to get that going, and that with all of the new potential at Red Rocks and lack of a complete guide back then, that RR would be good and I'd help fire that up with some contributions.

Some years later I recall a discussion about the idea of forums. Flyod Honeysuckle had me convinced that the logical progression of the site would be to go from a database to a betabase to a spraytabase to a... a... well, whatever the heck this is.

The forums came to keep comments off of routes. The stars and grades came to reduce the same. The site continues to evolve.

Regardless, it's still pretty cool.

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Dec 12, 2012
You stay away from mah pig!

I guess that if you count my original profile, which I cannot log into anymore and I can't get any admins to delete, I've been here for over 11 years. Any other folks who joined up when it was climbingmoab.com? That was WAY cooler than all the climbingboulder stuff.

www.mountainproject.com/u/paul-nelson//10549

By PatrickV
From Albuquerque, New Mexico
mexico

My first contributions were a handful of routes around Estes including a controversial "yellow wall" description. The sites founder, Mike Komarnitsky was an RA on the floor I lived on at CU and told me about a website he was starting about climbing in and around Boulder. I looked at it and the only routes that had been posted were buildering problems on the engineering building on campus. I wrote up short descriptions of a few classic area routes, saved them to my floppy disk and gave them to Michael. I think this was in 1999 or early 2000, I can't remember. Things have changed a lot since then!

The first area added:
www.mountainproject.com/v/engineering-center/105744729

-Patrick

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO

camhead wrote:
Any other folks who joined up when it was climbingmoab.com? That was WAY cooler than all the climbingboulder stuff. www.mountainproject.com/u/paul-nelson//10549

Well... I guess so:
"Location: UT : Moab Area : Indian Creek : Pistol Whipped : Spaghetti Western (5.11+)
By: Tony B When: Dec 20, 2001
Comments: Yellow camalots (2.5") protect the route most of the way, bat take a few blues (3.5"). If you want to lower off of, rap, or TR this climb on a single rope, you better have a 70M. I have climbed harder 10+ routes, by the way. The crux is either the very beginning where it is thin, or the slightly wider section just prior to passing the top of the bulge."

And then there was also that .jtree site:

Congratulations 5.10d R

Ohhh. But who can forget Climbing Devil's Lake:

Sometime Crack 5.10a
By Tony B
From: Around Boulder, CO
Oct 11, 2002
rating: 5.9+
"It's still a hard lead if you do it without SLCD's, particularly on a hot august day. In 1992... I have the distinct memory of trying to get a middle-sized Lowe Tricam (blue or purple) to stick at the crux, but it kept wiggling... eventually you give up and climb without it. SLCD's probably make it easier, but imagining a lead on just passive pro, or free-solo, really ballsy."

By Legs Magillicutty
From Littleton
Dec 12, 2012
Function over fashion.  My newest pair of climbing shoes.

I've been here just over 10 years. Remember when posts used to go directly to your E-mail? One of my first posts asked, "Who sets the trad lines in Eldo." HAHAHA. I wondered if it was the same guy(s) who set the pink routes in the climbing gyms. What an idiot. haha! I asked a lot of dumb questions but after 10 years I am definitely not as dumb. My maturity level has improved slightly too, except around the camp fire. That will never change.

By Andy Laakmann
Site Landlord
From Bend, OR

Wayback machine for CB

web.archive.org/web/20000818031058/climbingboulder.com/

By Andrew Gram
From Salt Lake City, UT
Andrew Gram

My first posts were back in 2001. I worked with Myke to get climbingmoab started shortly after I joined climbingboulder, and I ran that site until mountainproject fused all the sister sites together.

By Michael Komarnitsky
Founding Father
From Seattle, WA
Myke Komarnitsky

Who could forget Old ClimbingBoulder.com Articles (The logo contest).

During the first few months of the site, there was no database - just text files being parsed by .shtml. Pat V and others would email me or give me floppies with the text files and I put them on the site. Once I put the data in a database, I neglected to have an "AddDate" field, which I didn't get to until sometime in 2001. Hence everything added in the first year got the datestamp of 1/1/2001.

The site was original hosted at rtt.colorado.edu... when I went to go buy a domain name (my first), I meant to buy boulderclimbing.com. In a dyslexic moment, I bought climbingboulder.com.

By Andy Laakmann
Site Landlord
From Bend, OR

Michael Komarnitsky wrote:
give me floppies

They gave you sandals? ;)

By M.Morley
From Sacramento, CA
8-21-09

Mike again.
Mike again.

Jan 1, 2001 is the date stamp, but pretty sure it was 2000.

I started up climbingJTree a couple of years later after climbing in Eldo with Myke Komarnitsky.

Who remembers the old format?
Screen shot of old "climbingjtree.com" home page as it looked in 2002. Seems like a long time ago!

By Andy Laakmann
Site Landlord
From Bend, OR

Mike & Andrew,

ClimbingJTree and ClimbingMoab were what motivated me to start MP with Nick. I used those sites a ton and then ended up communicating with Myke about the "merge".

MP would not have been possible without all the founders of the sister sites... so we (all) owe you thanks.

Cheers
Andy

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Stabby

My earliest post I could find was 11/22/02 which predates my member since date, so I think it was my old cb.com alter ego. I guess things change, but I sure do miss the old unmoderated days.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO

Mike Lane wrote:
I guess things change, but I sure do miss the old unmoderated days.

You mean the days before having the forums?

By Mike
From Phoenix
Dec 12, 2012
Doing the jump-across off The Mace.  I never get tired of this climb.  Photo by Wednesday Hugus.

camhead wrote:

I used to use climbingmoab.com all the time, and never knew about climbingboulder.com (I know, impossible b/c Boulder is the center of the universe lol) Then 1 day I went to climbingmoab.com and it was suddenly MP.com. After double & triple checking that the URL was correct, I took some time to look at the new site, and liked it enough to finally sign up.

I remember being confused a couple years later when people on the forum were discussing about how MP.com used to be climbingboulder.com.

Question: Was climbingmoab.com part of climbingboulder.com, or were the 2 sites separate until the merger?

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Dec 13, 2012
Stabby

Tony B wrote:
You mean the days before having the forums?

The days before rampant disappearing posts

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Dec 13, 2012

Mike Lane wrote:
The days before rampant disappearing posts

Well, we're not saying anything different:

By YDPL8S
From Santa Monica, Ca.
Dec 13, 2012
Korea 1 1975

I didn't start until 2007, but what was the name of that guy who's name began with, I think a "K", that was also a professional photographer?
He finally left after getting fed up with the flames, he was pretty acerbic himself, but seemed like a great climber and could burn you with his prose very quickly. I know, he burned me a few times, but I miss his quick wit. Can't remember his name, anybody?

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Dec 13, 2012

^^^ Let sleeping dogs lie.
Next thing you know people will be longing for Elanor.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>