Hand surgeon recommendations in Denver/Boulder?

By dancesatmoonrise
Apr 5, 2011
Can anyone recommend a hand surgeon in Denver or Boulder (or anywhere in Colorado) who has had reasonable experience treating and operating hand injuries in high level climbers?

Much appreciated, thanks.

Jim

By FCJohn
From Fort Collins, CO
Apr 5, 2011
this is a hat
Jim,

You should give the Orthopedic Center of the Rockies a call and ask for Ken Duncan. He's a bad ass climber and a hell of a surgeon

orthohealth.com/index.php/our-...

By Chad Volk
From Boulder, CO
Apr 5, 2011
Dr. Gordon surgically repaired my dislocated wrist a little over a year ago. I've been climbing on it for a year and everything has been fantastic. I highly recommend him. Looking for a Dr. isn't much fun. I went through it last year. Send me a pm if you have any questions.

Dr. Gordon

By dancesatmoonrise
Apr 6, 2011
Thanks, gents.

By EMT
Apr 6, 2011
me bouldering in MT
If you are a high level climber and value that I'd recommend leaving Colorado for your surgery. Boston,L.A., san fran. Or new York will have the best in the world. Poss. Some one affiliated with a university! If you want the best in a state with a population the size of most small cites then....

By jafrizza
From Golden CO
Apr 14, 2011
Halfway there.
what ever you do dont go to DR Jon Pav in wheat ridge he ruined my hand trying to fix a boxers fracture.Granted it was a really bad one but now i have no movement in the knuckle and a cubic crap ton of pain

By J Choi
From Andover, MA
Apr 14, 2011
EMT wrote:

Not sure that I agree with that statement. A lot of hand doctors do not see climbing related injuries and the cost of flight, hotel, and finding the time might be prohibitive. That having been said, Dr. Stephen Paul in Boulder is great and has seen climbing related injuries if you can schedule him.

Also if an orthopedic hand surgeon is too easily scheduled then keep in mind that it might be a reflection of his skills ;-)

When I had a hand injury, I recovered through a combination of rest, self research, and physical therapy. But I don't know your situation.

By Crag Dweller
From New York, NY
Apr 14, 2011
My navigator keeps me from getting lost
Dr Davis Hurley at Advanced Orthopedics.

He sewed two ligaments in my thumb back together last spring. It took him 15 minutes from the time felt a bit drowsy until I came to and he was closing up.

I couldn't do anything at all w/the thumb for 9 weeks per Dr's orders. But, as soon as I was able to get back on the rock, recovery came quickly. Today, I can't even tell I had the surgery except for a very small scar.

By dancesatmoonrise
Apr 14, 2011
Thanks, guys. Still researching it, so the info is very helpful.

-Jim

By Rick Gordon
Aug 25, 2013
You should see Dan Master with Mapleton Hill Orthopaedics in Boulder, CO. He is an awesome climber and fixed my wrist after I tore a ligament and got me back climbing again. Check him out.

By boo
Aug 30, 2013
If you can and will leave CO, check out David Ruch at Duke University in Durham, NC. He's great. He's seen a lot of climbers and piano players.

Even if you can't see him for the procedure, once you have films and/or discs of xrays, you could contact him for a second opinion.

That way you could move forward with some confidence.