Gunks Climbing in the Morning

By bobmirko
Jun 16, 2014

Hi, we plan a short trip to the Gunks next week but we know that the Temp is really hot at the moment. It is permitted to climb from 5 to 12 AM at the Gunks?

Thanks

By Gunkiemike
Jun 16, 2014

The Mohonk Preserve is open "dawn to dusk", so feel free to hit it as soon as it's light. On a real hot day you may be baked off the cliff by 10-11 AM. But come back after 4 PM and it's almost always pleasant.

By James Sweeney
Jun 16, 2014

Whatcha lookin to get on?

By bobmirko
Jun 16, 2014

We are looking for high stars routes under 5.9. High E for sure as soon as the light go on

By Optimistic
From New Paltz
Jun 16, 2014

For what it's worth I used to do this and have since abandoned it in favor of the late afternoon approach mentioned above. Often times on a really hot day even by 8 or 830am it can get a little suffer worthy. But once the sun goes over the ridge you can often have 4+ hours of perfect temps and very few people.

By gblauer
From Wayne, PA
Jun 16, 2014

it was gorgeous today...not too hot at all. I climbed in a long sleeve shirt all day.

Have fun!

By Gunks Jesse
From Shawangunk Township, NY
Jun 19, 2014
Tetonia

It's light really early here. If you are skilled and efficient you should be able to get two routes relatively close together in before 8 am, assuming you have all your prep work in and are ready to climb as soon as it's light. Take off when it gets too hot and swim at Coxing Creek or another swimming hole until 5:30 or 6, then climb another couple of routes. Perfect day.

By J. Serpico
From Saratoga County, NY
Jun 19, 2014

Dawn is the beginning of morning twilight. So that is around 4:30am this time of the year. So you could definitely be racked up and ready to go at sunrise, if not before, and legally.

I'm a fan of Jesse's day. Climb 1-2 routes effeciently by 9am (4 hours), and then hit New Paltz or the German place for some lunch and beers or better, go for a swim and have some lunch and beers. Get back on the rock at 4pm for another 2 climbs. Dusk is about 9:15 (i'd consider dusk civil twilight, but I'm sure if you were bothered you could argue astronomical twilight, I've never been bothered). You can get exact numbers from the US Naval Observatory or Weatherunderground.

So in theory you can rap off via headlamp and be off the preserve land by dusk (civil twilight).

Enjoy.

(disclaimer on the lunch and beers thing...alcohol and climbing probably don't mix well, so use your judgment).

By bobmirko