Guidebook for Courtright Reservoir?

By Karl K
From Phoenix, AZ
Feb 14, 2014

Any potential that a guidebook for Courtright will be available soon (i.e., this year)?
Went there with just the info from MP - had a great time - but there must be dozens (hundreds?) of routes not listed here.
Please someone give me some good news!

By Ryan Nevius
From The Range of Light
Feb 14, 2014
Mt. Agassiz

"Southern Sierra Rock Climbing: Sequoia/Kings Canyon" by Sally Moser, Greg Vernon and David Hickey, has lots of info...

By Karl K
From Phoenix, AZ
Feb 14, 2014

That would be my fallback plan.
Still, $70+ for a used book that is more than 20 years out of date...

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Feb 14, 2014
OTL

California Road Trip
A Climber’s Guide
Northern California
www.slatervision.com/www.slatervision.com/Guidebooks.html

I think this book is worth getting, then supplementing additional routes from MP.

By Ryan Nevius
From The Range of Light
Feb 14, 2014
Mt. Agassiz

Karl K wrote:
That would be my fallback plan. Still, $70+ for a used book that is more than 20 years out of date...

Yeah, those ~80 pages of routes are worthless. Those choss piles have probably all fallen by now.

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Feb 14, 2014

I've heard there is a new one in-the-making, but don't know when it's coming out. (I know that isn't very helpful, but I hope to see it soon)

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Feb 14, 2014
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

Frank I believe you are correct.....

from what I know, some local is really digging in and getting the facts, dates, directions etc all down pat.

it's not an ez thing to do.

IMHO, all of the Moser, Vernon.. et all GB's are worthwhile ... they do a good job of getting you to the climbs, that were established way way back in the 80's.

The other books are all good to have.

So Karl K..... what did ya climb???

By Karl K
From Phoenix, AZ
Feb 14, 2014

We were only there for a couple of days, but did a lot of shorter routes.
Mostly Spring Dome and Trapper Dome (Sex wall).
Walked out to Tiger Wall - the rock is great...

Mostly, its just such a beautiful place, I am looking to be able to spend a week or more there and stay busy.
Its kinda depressing to sit at your campsite looking at a gorgeous dome(s) and not even knowing the name of the formation.

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Feb 14, 2014
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

Heck... sex wall, trapper- dude...did you walk around Trapper?

Big beautiful arete ????

Knobby steep sport climbs???

Power Dome.... up on Pitch 4 of "Welcome to Courtwright" it looks blank... then you find a little hole, then another, then another the holes go on forever ... never ever found holes like that.

I agree to be there and not know..... would suck.

Best time there is in the late fall, IMHO. no bugs, cool temps.

come on back

By limpingcrab
From Visalia, CA
Feb 14, 2014
Huge invisible muscles

I made a scan of the old SEKI guide and a friend posted a link to download it on the third post here: www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.php?topic_id=2340294&msg=2>>>

I think someone made a newer guide but I heard it has lots of errors and I don't know where you'd buy it. Lots of info if you search supertopo.

I'm working on a new SEKI guide but not including Courtright so I don't have much more info than what's in the old book.

Enjoy!

Edit: sorry, SEKI = Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Park

By Karl K
From Phoenix, AZ
Feb 14, 2014

limpingcrab - great! Thanks so much: That is a great start.
I will keep a look out for more info (and then update MP if/when I go back)

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Feb 17, 2014
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

"I'm working on a new SEKI guide"

Crab.... Little Baldy? that stuff????

we need to talk.

By limpingcrab
From Visalia, CA
Feb 17, 2014
Huge invisible muscles

Guy,

Ya, starting with Sequoia stuff as I try to work something out with Phil for Kings Canyon. He originally wanted to do a complete thing, then only Kings Canyon, now I'm not sure. But I think you know about all that. Worst case scenario I do just Sequoia and help him with his KC guide. That would be kind of annoying but no worries either way.

Within the next few months I'll finish my thesis, then the real work begins. As of right now I'm still just sketching topos, getting bolt counts, gathering info and trying to hunt down the transient seasonal people who've done recent new routes I keep finding.

You're already towards the top of my list of people to get ahold of at the end of this winter when I really start to dig. With my teacher's schedule I'll have lots of time after I finish masters research crap.

Feel free to contact me anytime
-Daniel