Guide Services in Red Rocks

By Ben Dubs
Feb 13, 2013
Elephant man

Hello fellow MPer’s!

Long story short – in preparation of an upcoming trip to Moab without a guide I am interested in doing two full day private lessons with a guide service in Red Rocks (also trying to escape the dreary Northeast weather…). One full day would be focused completely on trad lead and the second I am thinking possibly a multi-pitch/lesson for anchor building, leading safely etc. All of which I have read extensively on, and practice when I can but would like a formal instructor to learn from/asses placements.

So far the only guide service I have contacted (and am eagerly awaiting a response from) is Jackson Hole Mountain Guides – Red Rocks. I am curious if anyone would recommend them or another service for my needs or if I should modify my approach and use those two days in a more effective way.

Looking to go within the next couple coming weeks, on a weekend. Possibly a buddy or two would join me but I have no problem doing this 1 on 1. I really appreciate any help!

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Feb 13, 2013

I would recommend JHMG in Red Rock. Mark Limage (JHMG in RR) will take good care of you. You'll be happy.

By Andrew Yasso
Feb 13, 2013
Top of Rainbow Buttress

Ben,

I work for the American Alpine Institute and would be psyched to spend a few days helping you or you and your friends to develop your skills. I sent you a direct message. Please feel free to contact me.

Enjoy your time in the Desert Southwest.

-Andrew

By Jared Garfield
Feb 13, 2013
Romancing the Stone

Just as a word of caution, if you plan on trying to trad lead on your own, you should be able to build anchors (regardless of # of pitches) in your sleep. Don't try to do too much too fast, looking back on it when I first started trad leading there were a few times where I just got real lucky I didnt fall. Have fun and be safe, good luck in Moab.

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Feb 13, 2013

The primary guide for JHMG is a good friend of mine- I'd definitely recommend them for your goals.

For reference, the main guide services here in town are:

Jackson Hole Mountain Guides
American Alpine Institute
Red Rock Climbing Center
Mountain Skills (sorry Mike! totally spaced you guys!)

There are alot of out of town guides as well- if you live in a town with a well known guide service, they may run Red Rock guides in the spring and fall.

By mike ward
Feb 14, 2013

Mountain Skills has been guiding in the Red Rocks for over 20 years.

climbingschoolusa.com/

By Ben Dubs
Feb 14, 2013
Elephant man

I am 99% positive I will be using the JHMG service. I want to thank you guys for your positive insight and look forward to the beautiful RR area!