Grivel Easy Slider on Matrix Light tools

By Tim Zander
Dec 9, 2011

I've got a pair of Matrix Light tools, I put horns on them for waterfall ice, but since I also like to use them for plunging I'd been eyeing the easy sliders.
I wanted to put silicone tape on the upper part of the shaft, remove the accordion and use the easy slider. The tape and lack of accordion is awesome with the horns.

The easy sliders arrived today and I put them on the adze tool only to find that the upper rivets(hidden by the accordion normally) blocks the slider from going all the way to the top.
I'm considering either grinding out the inside of the slider or taking some material off the rivets(doubt that's a good idea)

Looking here: www.backcountry.com/grivel-air-tech-evo-ice-axe-w-easy-slide>>> I see the same two rivets, and it looks like the bottom rivet actually is ground down to make the slider work with it.

Anyone with experience with this or suggestions?

By coldfinger
Jan 8, 2012

DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT FILING THOSE RIVETS!!!!!

By Charles Savel
From Frederick, Maryland
Jan 8, 2012
ice climbing

If you have access to a bucking bar, you could try and flatten down the rivet a bit. You could also drill the rivet out and replace it with a countersink rivet. If you live close to either a metal fabrication shop or airport (sheet metal or aircraft mechanic), they should be able to replace the old rivet with a countersunk rivet in 5 minutes for a good bomber of beer.

By Syndicate
Jan 10, 2012

Does the slider stay in place on it's own, or how does it stay at the top?

Would it not leave you more space to grip the axe for plunging if it stayed at the rivets vs being at the top?

By Tim Zander
Jan 10, 2012

Nope, will not stay in place at the top/below rivets. This means that it will be incredible fiddly when plunging. Also, I hold the head of the axe when plunging, not the top of the shaft, so I think it would be significantly better.

I had through about taking a dremel to the inside of the easy slider to make it work, but now I have silicone tape on the shaft and I would have to seriously enlarge the slider to make it work at all... I'm starting to think it's not worth it.

By elliott.will
From Wasilla, Alaska
Dec 16, 2012

Anyone want to sell me their Easy Slider?