Granite Peak Guide Book Rec

By JustinJD.
From Denver
Jul 25, 2012

I'm planning on heading up to Granite Peak this labor day and came across this guidebook option on Amazon when looking for a good topo.
My only concern is that it is almost $100 and I'm having a ridiculously tough time justifying the expense. If someone has one used I could buy or just some thoughts on the need for the item I'd love some feedback.

www.amazon.com/Granite-Montanas-Highest-Point-Climbing/dp/19>>>

Just to provide some background....I've spent plenty of time on Froze To Death in the late fall/winter during hunting trips and I feel very comfortable with all of the necessary routefinding up until passing Tempest.

If anyone has been up to Granite recently and has some tips or tricks they're willing to share I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks,
Justin

By T Howes
From Bozeman, MT
Jul 25, 2012

www.mountaingear.com/webstore/Gear/Books-videos/Joe-Josephso>>>

By JustinJD.
From Denver
Jul 26, 2012

I appreciate the link. Guess I thought this was just the map and not the whole thing when I looked at it before. Thanks for the link.

J

By Jeff Kunkle
Jul 27, 2012

We climbed Granite a couple years ago and just took this description.... www.jackieandalan.com/graniteroute.html

By JustinJD.
From Denver
Jul 27, 2012

Jeff Kunkle wrote:

Thanks,
Justin

By mountain-nut
From Denver, CO
Jul 29, 2012

i have that first accent map/guide, and i live in Denver. if you'd like to look at it / copy it, i don't have a problem with it. PM me.

By Jeff Kunkle
Jul 30, 2012

JustinJD. wrote:
Thanks, I was planning on printing off a lot of the great trip reports to help with routefinding and other tips. Did you feel the need to tie in on the way up? I only ask as one member of our party doesn't have very much traditional climbing experience. We were planning on just rappelling down. Any thoughts or tips would be much appreciated. Thanks, Justin

I would not feel comfortable recommending one way or the other, but we did not tie in on the way up and did 2 or 3 raps on the way down. We found it very helpful to stop often and compare the pictures to the route as route finding wasn't a gimme.

By JonBates
From cody, wy
Jul 30, 2012

If you can get to Tempest col no problem then you probably won't find a map much of a help past there. There are some cairns on route if you pay attention, but for the most part you're just following your nose. There are a few pitches that you must find but other than that there's multiple variations in between. Probably the most important thing to consider is getting an early enough start to be off the peak when the inevitable afternoon lightning storm blasts through. I would highly recomend a rope is at least available for going up and definitely for the decent especially if you get weather, we seem to be getting a lot of it this summer. There is a granite specific map out there though, pretty sure you can buy it in Red Lodge at the gear store on your way. have fun