GPS Coordinates and Sorting to Routes/Areas not Personally Submitted

By Charlie S
From Ogden, UT
May 13, 2013
Cams above the arm bar moves on Three Pigs in a Slot, Indian Creek.

On the compliment side, the site is awesome and I love using it/the app when I'm out, especially in areas where the guidebook is marginal or non-existent.

That being said, it also lends towards me going places where I'd like to improve the regions on MP (thinking City of Rocks, Idaho, in this case).

Currently, you can only add/edit GPS coordinates if you are the submitter. Sometimes, GPS coordinates are entered incorrectly (Trap Dike in NY shows up in somewhere-stan), or not entered at all. It'd be nice to be able to fix/add these in regions you yourself have not submitted.

It would also be useful to do route sorting. Currently, if you did not submit the route/a route, you can't sort the climbs. I ran across a couple areas where there was no sorting or incorrect sorting that I'd like to fix.

By Doug Hemken
May 13, 2013
On Everleigh Club Crack.  Photo by Burt Lindquist.

Two options you could pursue:

(1) Contact the admin for the area with your GPS coordinates, and ask the admin to add them.

(2) If you have a lot of good suggestions for a specific area, you might ask about becoming an admin yourself.

By Ty Morrison-Heath
From Bozeman, MT
May 13, 2013
Profile Photo <br />

It would be awesome if you could add them from the app for any route. Just do an averaging of the points submitted and you should get relatively good accuracy.

By Doug Hemken
May 13, 2013
On Everleigh Club Crack.  Photo by Burt Lindquist.

If everyone stands in the same small area, averaging will improve accuracy.

But if people don't all stand in the same small area, averaging could be not better than just taking the first coordinates submitted.

And the place that is obviously "correct" to you will not be so obvious to someone else.

By David Barbour
From Charlotte, NC
May 30, 2013

This is a good idea.

By ShawnK
Jun 9, 2013

Just a technicality, but the median of all suggested locations would be a better statistical measure. It is less influenced by outliers (for example, if using averages, one wrong point in Antarctica would still throw off 10 correct locations in NY).