got 100 feet of 4mm bluewater cord, what should I do with it?

By John Layko Torkleson
Aug 2, 2010
I just picked up 100 feet of brand new in the package bluewater 4 mil cord for 10 bucks. What oh what should I do with it? Should I make some kind of hat?

John

By Evan1984
Aug 2, 2010
keep it for around the campsite. That is the perfect size to rig a tarp shelter and get some of the crap out of your tent and still under cover.

By AJ O.
From Chicago
Aug 2, 2010
Ro Shampo (Red River Gorge)
if you're real crafty you can figure out how to weave it into a chalk-bag (with a liner of course)

By John Greer Jr.
From modesto, ca
Aug 2, 2010
you could send it to me if you can't find anything.
ive got at least 100 uses for some cord.

By Phil Walton
From lyons, co
Aug 2, 2010
I have been leading on 4mm for years

By Mike McMahon
From Vernal, Utah
Aug 2, 2010
Summit of The Cenotaph Spire.  Moab.
Not this.
Not this.

By John Layko Torkleson
Aug 2, 2010
I was thinking of putting up some lines with some wood screws I have laying around and this cord. Maybe over at Rifle.

By JPVallone
Aug 2, 2010
fold it in half and use it as a 50 ft 8mm, or fold in 1/4's and you will have a beefy 25ft 16mm. ;-)

By henryb
From asheville, nc
Aug 2, 2010
thats me without my shirt but, all my hair
fix lines on mt. evans and go bouldering

By Nick Przybysz
From Boulder, CO
Aug 2, 2010
you should give it to me

By CO_Michael
Aug 2, 2010
Mexico roadside rocks
Make some heavy duty shoe strings.

By brenta
From Boulder, CO
Aug 3, 2010
Cima Margherita and Cima Tosa in the Dolomiti di Brenta.  October 1977.
JPVallone wrote:

This was clearly in jest, but lest uninquisitive beginners should get the wrong idea in their heads, let's remind ourselves that a doubled 4 mm cord has half the cross section of a single 8 mm cord.

By claramie
From Boulder, CO
Aug 3, 2010
Should I be trying this hard on a warmup? <br /> <br />photo by Rob Kepley
Mike McMahon wrote:

At least they went biner to biner too; I hear that strengthens the 4 mil.... seriously though, I'd probably just use it to guy stuff out around camp.

By Christiney
From Wheat Ridge, CO
Apr 15, 2013
Horseman
This sounds stupid, but I am attracted to the particular colors and weave of this 4mm cord, but it comes in a spool of 150 meters and costs $130. But I don't know what kind of climbing purpose this could serve.

I use 5-7mm for my backup rappel, but that only takes a few feet, and I already have that. I got a 8mm one for anchors, but that is 30 feet and I already have that, too.

So why do they even bother selling this 4mm cord in a almost 1,000 foot spool?

By tradvlad
Apr 15, 2013
you can use it as a pull cord for retrieving your rappel line...

By Christiney
From Wheat Ridge, CO
Apr 15, 2013
Horseman
tradvlad wrote:
you can use it as a pull cord for retrieving your rappel line...

Thanks, good idea... when I build up the courage to rappel Reepschnur style, I could do that. What an awesome long rappel that would be.

By S Denny
From Carbondale, CO
Apr 15, 2013
Caprinae monkey wrote:

yeah 100ft rappels are so rad

By GhaMby
From Heaven
Apr 15, 2013
Ohhhh there's so many things I could tie up if that was my 100' of cord!

By lucander
From Stone Ridge, NY
Apr 15, 2013
Lucander off the GT Ledge on p. 2 of Keep on Struttin.
reinforce anchors, floss <Mike Tyson's teeth, or keep it in the trunk for whatever comes up.

By Christiney
From Wheat Ridge, CO
Apr 16, 2013
Horseman
John Marsella wrote:
weave it into a bathroom-rug sized rope rug. or several potholders.

lol... if only i had thought about this when I drove to T-wall only to have it rain the entire time

skitch wrote:
Ohhhh there's so many things I could tie up if that was my 100' of cord!

yeah, but I find those "things" prefer the comfort of a thick 10mm rope

lucander wrote:

a boy scout is always prepared....