Good recs for slot canyons with a young kid?

By Maurice Chaunders
Aug 19, 2014
Colombian Crack
Am I gonna die? Will my daughter?

By Mike Belu
From Indianapolis, IN
Aug 19, 2014
Summit of Rainier.
Are you trying to be "that guy" in the major news programs where everyone says "how stupid can someone be?"

The bottom of the hike is slippery river rocks in many areas. I wouldn't suggest that for a pregnant wife with a pack full of gear, or a 15 month old baby stuck in a backpack on a stupid man.

Hopefully my negative comments were funny.

I did the hike in November with dry suits one year. It's amazing, but I think it's a bad idea for your group.

Maybe you can pull it off and have the trip of your life, but I'd choose something else.

By Tom-onator
From This Galaxy
Aug 20, 2014
Tom-onator
Is your 15 month old daughter's name Roberta Paulson?

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
Aug 20, 2014
Stairway To Heaven - all the way to the Pearly Gates <br />(i.e. 10 pitches to the tram station)
This post is joke right? Never overnight backpacked with yer kid but ya want to do an overnight wet canyon with the prego wife. Here is my suggestion, get a campsite in Zion, plan a day hike up the narrows with the wife and kid. When they (not you) start getting tired turn around, treat wife to a nice dinner in Springdale for putting up with the original idea of an overnight trip. The next morning do a dry hike up some where in the park. If dinner did not smooth over thing I would not suggest Angel's Landing as the wife may toss you off for suggesting the overnight trip.

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Aug 21, 2014
At the BRC
Maurice Chaunders wrote:
Am I gonna die? Will my daughter? What's the youngest age I could take my daughter and pregnant wife to hike the narrows? Is it crazy to think we'd spend the night and do it in 2 days? Is swimming mandatory, or are there any times of year that would be better than others? Any other more realistic options for day hikes in a slot canyon? Anywhere? I'd take my 15 month daughter in a backpack, and take some gear, and my wife would carry the rest. She'd be down for the hike until about January. Are there any times from now til then that we could do the hike, if we were reasonable people? Assume a high level of back country, camping and hiking experience, though none with a small child, yet. And limited desert experience. Thanks for any helpful input and please keep the negative comments as humorous as possible. And thanks for any resources - this post is pregoogle.

I wouldn't do the Narrows with that team. Not enough margin of safety if something went wrong. Not offering advice on what you should do, since I don't know you, your wife or daughter. Regardless, it's your kid, you and your wife get to make the decisions...at least until the Social Worker shows up!

However, you might look into camping at Goblin Valley State Park and hiking Little Wild Horse Canyon. Goblin Valley is great for kids, although 15 months is still a little young to enjoy it fully, IMHO. There's free camping in the canyons nearby if GV is full. But then you'd miss the showers!

Another great spot for kids is the campground in Arches, (Devils Garden?) and then hike the Fiery Furnace.

Both options pretty tame, but I think you'll enjoy them nevertheless. Lot's of info online. Especially check out climb-utah.com or roadtripryan.com/go/trips/

By Tyson Anderson
From Las Vegas, NV
Aug 21, 2014
Rapping from the top of Cat in the hat
No swimming necessary, just a 16 mile hike that's mostly in the water on round river rocks.

I've done it several times and if I were in your position I wouldn't do it. I'd consider doing it carrying a kid on my back and I'd consider doing it with a pregnant wife (it would be up to her) but definitely not both of those things.

Day hike in the narrows and then go occupy yourselves with the myriad of other things there are to do there.