Good 'elbow guy' in Boulder?

By Gold Plated Rocket Pony
From Boulder, CO
May 28, 2013
yep

My elbow has been nagging me for a while after I pull on small crimps. Nothing horrid but it's getting annoying. Anyone got a good doc/massage/pt person that has helped them with something like this before in the Boulder area?

By Finn the Human
From The Land of Ooo
May 28, 2013
Mathematical!

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for who to go see, but if you haven't you already, take a look at this article. There's some really good info in there re: elbow pain and climbing. Check it out: Dr. Julian Sander's Dodgy Elbows.

By Gold Plated Rocket Pony
From Boulder, CO
May 28, 2013
yep

Yep, read this a while back and did all the exercises but didn't help me much. Massage and acupuncture seemed to do more.

By doug rouse
From Denver, CO.
May 28, 2013

Go for a velcro arm cuff around your upper forearm...supports those tendons affected, and most of the time, the pain will subside after a month or two..$5.00 at the grocery store.

By Greg Kimble
From Colorado
May 28, 2013

How long did you do the exercises? It can take quite awhile for your arms to balance out. It took me months to get rid of my lateral epicondylosis. But I took the time to let it heal and haven't had issues in quite sometime. You might need to just be patient. Assuming this is a typical climbing related elbow pain, you can go to a PT or an acupuncturist but any relief you find will be short term unless you do one or both of the following: a.) strengthen your tendon/muscular groups responsible for the problem (Pronators and wrist curls) b.) adjust your climbing technique. A PT can help you with the former.

You also probably need to take some time to let it heal and keep off climbing a few weeks while you do the exercises and stretches, then when you get back to climbing stick to large holds and lay off the crimps for a little while longer. I know you can read and have probably researched the issue so I apologize if this seems patronizing/annoying.

Anyway, since there are so many climbers in Boulder, you could go to just about any sports medicine PT who is worth a shit in the area and they will have a good understanding of climbing related issues. Do a search on this forum and you can pull up tons of PT recommendations in the area. Here's the first two that popped up.

mountainproject.com/v/physical-therapist-recommendation-for->>>

mountainproject.com/v/looking-for-sportsmedicine-doctor-in-b>>>

By Nestor
May 30, 2013

Hi, I had the same problem but luckily my wife is a PT. In my case, the issue was not the traditional tennis/golfers elbow but tendonitis due to extremely tight triceps and shoulder muscles. None of the exercises used for tennis elbow worked but frequent stretching of the triceps and shoulders fixed the problem completely. Talk to a PT. They will test your flexibility and suggest exercises. Good luck!