Good CO family camping

By kubes
From Littleton, CO
Jul 27, 2014
One of the most amazing sport climbs ever. Caveman (5.11d) on Thaiwand Wall, Tonsai, Thailand. The move above where I am is the crux, but stays pretty sustained the rest of the way. Awesome exposure and excellent moves the whole way.
We're trying to figure out where to go camping this week. We have a 3 year old and a 2 month old. We want somewhere fun, free (or cheap), and where we can spread out so the baby doesn't keep other campers up at night. We were thinking maybe Hartman Rocks out by Gunnison, but were wondering what else you all could recommend. It would be nice if there were fun things to do for the fam too. We thought Steamboat could be fun too with its town springs and stuff. Fill me in on some good FS/BLM camping areas there or anywhere else that's cool for kids! And it actually doesn't have to be near climbing for this trip. Thanks!

By Bryan Gilmore
From Your Mama
Jul 27, 2014
Beagle
Boggy Draw down by Dolores is awesome with kids. Bring the bikes and enjoy. Stop by the Dolores Brewery for good beer and pizza and go to Mesa Verde too.

By Nate Flynn
From United States
Jul 27, 2014
Moving into the crux.
Wellington Lake near Pine, Colorado. South of Bailey, South Platte area. That's a nice area, has some climbing (the Castle formation), a small lake and dogs can run free. Some easy trails too. Good for bikes. We took a 9 month old and a dog. My son just crawled around it was great.

By kubes
From Littleton, CO
Jul 28, 2014
Thanks for the info guys! I will definitely check these spots out this time or some other time. What else do people recommend?

By Ben Cassedy
From Denver, CO
Jul 29, 2014
IP
Nate Flynn wrote:

You beat me to it. We actually just got back from Wellington Lake this past weekend with our almost 3 year old daughter. Just over an hour drive from Denver, very scenic, all sorts of water-related activities (fishing, SUP, swimming, etc.) and probably the most important part is that you can actually get a site (if you reserve a a few days or a week ahead of time) unlike virtually all of the NF front range campgrounds, which are booked solid.

Vedauwoo is definitely kid friendly too. I've never had trouble getting a spot up there. We have also had good luck at Devil's Head (very kid friendly), but for both places you would probably want to be prepared to find a primitive campsite in case the developed one is full.

By "H"
From Manitou Springs
Jul 29, 2014
Axes glistening in the sun
We've been taking our kids to Lincoln Gulch campground up Independence Pass since they were born. Granted it's now $19 a night to camp there, but it's a fun place. You can also head down Lincoln Gulch road for free "primitive" camping. It's about 10 miles east of Aspen.

By Mike Pharris
From Longmont, CO
Jul 30, 2014
Climbing above Black Lake
I enjoyed camping at 11 mile canyon earlier this summer. We stayed at riverside campground and it was nicely spread out so that the family just above us with 5 kids didn't bother us at all :) the kids had a blast running around on the hillside amongst the boulders. Based on the life jackets observed in the morning and the quiet evening that followed, they seem to have played in the river all day and burned of a lot of energy. .