Good ACL Surgeon in Boulder, CO?

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
Mar 11, 2013
How I Send
So just tore my ACL and I have no idea where to begin the healing process. Any help is much appreciated.

By J. Broussard
From CordryCorner
Mar 11, 2013
Young Good Free Face, 11b
Fulkerson has always gone above and beyond when I need to be fixed.

By Paul Hunnicutt
From Boulder, CO
Mar 11, 2013
Half Dome
I had a patella tendon graft about 7 years ago. It was in Virginia so I can't get you a local recommendation. It took me about 6 months to get back into hiking, 9 until running, and after 1 year I felt "normal" again. Now I hardly ever notice my knee at all, except after a longgg day of hiking - the second I stop it gets much tighter (feels like it needs some oil in there like the Tin Man).

The first week post surgery blows and in general the first month as well. Hit the PT hard and keep at it for the full year of recovery, but don't rush the process. Sure if you take the same PED's like Adrian Peterson did then you can come back and rush for over 2,000 yards next year, but 1 year is the typical recovery time to get back to 95-99%.

I should note that I don't have any restrictions on any activities now. Recovery is a bitch, but you can come back just as strong as you were before. Maybe you want to avoid crazy drop knees as you return to form, but I believe Sharma might have had an ACL tear (I read he had a significant knee injury) and doesn't seem to stop him.

By Greg D
From Here
Mar 11, 2013
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W.
While we are at it, can someone recommend an ankle ortho? Anywhere from Boulder to south Denver works. A friend has recommended Dirk Dolbeare at Boulder Ortho.

By Justin Compton
From Longmont, CO
Mar 11, 2013
Bonnie's Roof
William P Cooney, M.D at Front Range Orthopedics in Longmont... Scoped my knee and has done many surguries on my co-workers and everyone has been very pleased... check out his profile frontrangeorthopedics.com/MEET...

By reboot
From Westminster, CO
Mar 11, 2013
I've heard people recommend Eric Mccarty @ CU Sports Medicine. I've only had a meniscus tear clean up done by him. No complaints & he let me watch the whole thing on a monitor.

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
Mar 12, 2013
How I Send
Thank you all for your input and suggestions. I have an appointment with the Steadman Hawkins Clinic tomorrow. I figure if they are good enough for the Broncos and the Rockies, they probably will do an okay job on my knee!

By crankenstein
Mar 12, 2013
Greg D wrote:

I've been to Dr. Ocel at Cornerstone Ortho group in Louisville with good surgical results for ligament work and bone spur removal, but the best ankle guy without a doubt is Dr. Robert Leland at Mapleton ortho in Boulder. He also has an office down south Denver somewhere. He did an extensive rework of my ankle that involved a lot of bone, tendon and ligament work and I've had better results than even he expected. All the other docs I saw just wanted to fuse my ankle.

By Josh Janes
Mar 12, 2013
I second Dr. Leland at Mapleton Hill.

By cheifitj
From Boulder, Colorado
Mar 12, 2013
Casual Route Pitch 3  Photo by Mark Cushman

Sorry to see the bad news Doug. Quick healing to you.
-Jon

By Tits McGee
From Boulder, CO
Mar 12, 2013
How I Send
cheifitj wrote:
Although they didn't do my knee surgery a few years ago, S&H did my sisters and they are the 'tits' so that should work for you. Sorry to see the bad news Doug. Quick healing to you. -Jon

Thanks Jon,
I may be picking your brain on rehab tips here soon.

By Chalk Norris
From Brighton, CO
Mar 12, 2013
Dr. Lynn voss
Boulder orthopedic and sports medicine was awesome for me. Nice guy and amazing surgeon.

By Kevin Craig
Mar 12, 2013
KC on Fields (medium).  Photo (c) Doug Shepherd
Drigan Wieder also at Mapleton Hill Ortho. Did both my wife's shoulders and who I'll be going to to clean up some cartilage in my knee if I decide to pull the trigger on the 'scope this Spring.

By Greg D
From Here
Mar 12, 2013
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W.
crankenstein wrote:

Thanks! I ended up going to Dr Ng. Turns out I broke off a chunk of bone in my ankle as well as some other damage. Not sure if I need surgery yet.

By Annabel
Aug 30, 2014
Hey--obviously I'm late in the game about this post/stream, but I've got to weigh in on dr. Lynn Voss: guys, he's awesome--really nice but more importantly, really good... I mean really good. He did my ACL surgery and I couldn't be more pleased-- recovery was a breeze and follow-up care was exceptional. I highly recommend him!