Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Gluten in beer?
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 1 of 4.  1  2  3  4   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
 
By nicelegs
From Denver
Mar 11, 2013
Posted under gear discussion for obvious reasons.

I am interested in trying to go low gluten for a month or two to see how I feel. If it's good enough for Peter Croft, it's good enough for me.

I still want to drink beer though. In an hour of googling I never found a definitive answer.

The closest I found was a forum comment in some forum about neanderthal diets. It said that most non wheat beers have 0-200ppm of gluten where a slice bread has 200,000ppm. This of course is completely unverified and smells like bullshit.

I am in no way interested in gluten free beer. I am interested in PBR and Dale's.

What do YOU know?

FLAG
By Evan Sanders
From Westminster, CO
Mar 11, 2013
Flaming Pumpkin
My opinion: Gluten is a fad diet with little to no research backing it. Gluten free diets should only be done by people with celiac disease.

FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Mar 11, 2013
You do realize gluten free is not one of the latest fad diets like paleo?

People that are gluten free have a medical allergy, they dont just "try gluten free" to lose weight and feel better. They have an ALLERGIC reaction if they eat gluent.

I am sorry but my girlfriend has celiac disease and it pisses me off when people think its some kinda a diet to "try out to feel better."

FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Mar 11, 2013
Evan Sanders wrote:
My opinion: Gluten is a fad diet with little to no research backing it. Gluten free diets should only be done by people with celiac disease.


I agree. Its not just some diet "to try out". If you have celiacs you would know it and already be on a gluten free diet.

FLAG
By Jeff Thilking
From Lynchburg, VA
Mar 11, 2013
Rap
It is out there, sorry can't remember the name at the moment but I think it had sorghum in it. I'm remembering it had a river or wooden waterwheel looking logo. I'll get back to you.

But gotta agree with everyone else, unless there's a medical reason it's an expensive unnecessary pain in the ass, and gluten free beer is expensive as hell. Compared to the sweet nectar that is Pabst.

FLAG
By Greg D
From Here
Mar 11, 2013
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />
I know any gluten free beer that I've had tasted like shit. How would you benefit from gluten free if you are not allergic?

FLAG
By Kai Larson
From Sandy, Utah
Mar 11, 2013
Tour Ronde North Face
EricSchmidt wrote:
I agree. Its not just some diet "to try out". If you have celiacs you would know it and already be on a gluten free diet.



No.

Celiac disease is one form of gluten intolerance. There are other forms as well. My wife is not a celiac, but is allergic to gluten. (She has a severe neurological reaction when exposed to it.) There are many non-celiacs who are allergic to gluten. The symptoms can range from mild to severe.

Many people who are allergic to gluten are not aware of their allergy. (Took my wife 18 months to figure out gluten was causing her illness.)

FLAG
By nicelegs
From Denver
Mar 11, 2013
Eric,

What the fuck do you want from me? Blood?

I don't care about your girlfriend unless she has pertinent information to my question.

I am well aware of it's fad diet status. I am also well aware of what Celiac's is. I feel fortunate that I don't have it. I have heard enough anecdotes regarding the benefits of reducing gluten that yes, I fucking want to "try it to see if I feel better".

Eric, why does what I choose to put in my mouth piss you off? Is it because that isn't you?

Evan, should vegetarianism only be done by people with an allergy to meat? Should everyone who isn't allergic to a certain food gorge themselves in it?

Sorry boys but I am still going to try my little experiment, probably for about 3 months. I'm just trying to figure out my thoughts on beer.

FLAG
 
By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Mar 11, 2013
Bocan
Have you seen the PRICE of gluten free beer? I've bought some for a friend and it was expensive as sh*t!!

If you don't have to don't. Besides why wouldy you want to if you dont have to?

FLAG
By SDY
Mar 11, 2013
Celiac disease is not an allergy, its an autoimmune reaction, but not an "allergy." There are people (celiacs) who definitely have to be gluten free, for the rest of the population, its a fad diet. Whatever, I don't really care. I remember seeing one by New Planet i think?

FLAG
By nicelegs
From Denver
Mar 11, 2013
Scott McMahon wrote:
Have you seen the PRICE of gluten free beer? I've bought some for a friend and it was expensive as sh*t!! If you don't have to don't. Besides why wouldy you want to if you dont have to?


Reread my post homey. I don't want anything to do with gluten free beer. I want to know how much gluten is in the beers I usually drink. Then I want to compare that number to bread. Then I want to justify why beer is still OK.

FLAG
By SDY
Mar 11, 2013
nicelegs wrote:
Reread my post homey. I don't want anything to do with gluten free beer. I want to know how much gluten is in the beers I usually drink. Then I want to compare that number to bread. Then I want to justify why beer is still OK.



Going for "just the tip" with gluten?

FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Mar 11, 2013
nicelegs wrote:
Evan, should vegetarianism only be done by people with an allergy to meat? Should everyone who isn't allergic to a certain food gorge themselves in it?


Uhh because there is no such thing as a "meat allergy" while celiacs is a legitamite disease. Its like people saying they want to try out that new chemo therapy treatment because it makes them lose weight. It just makes you look like a retard is all but apparently you are cool with that.

FLAG
By nicelegs
From Denver
Mar 11, 2013
SDY wrote:
Going for "just the tip" with gluten?


Excellent analogy.

Now which regular beers have a nice narrow and short shaft? If only Eric was a beer...

FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Mar 11, 2013
Kai Larson wrote:
No. Celiac disease is one form of gluten intolerance. There are other forms as well. My wife is not a celiac, but is allergic to gluten. (She has a severe neurological reaction when exposed to it.) There are many non-celiacs who are allergic to gluten. The symptoms can range from mild to severe. Many people who are allergic to gluten are not aware of their allergy. (Took my wife 18 months to figure out gluten was causing her illness.)


Whats your wifes "severe neurological reaction"? Obviously it wasnt too severe if she was able to keep eating gluten for 18 months....

FLAG
By EricSchmidt
Mar 11, 2013
nicelegs wrote:
Excellent analogy. Now which regular beers have a nice narrow and short shaft? If only Eric was a beer...


Are you offering to blow random people on the internet? A moron and a SLUT... Well done.

FLAG
 
By SDY
Mar 11, 2013
I imagine sticking with any beer that is rice based beers, as far as rice beers go, this is a tasty one, but I hate rice beers. Also, I have no numbers to actual gluten content

beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/...

FLAG
By C Miller
Administrator
Mar 11, 2013
Sugar Pine (Pinus lambertiana), Black Mountain
foodrepublic.com/2012/12/10/5-...

bonappetit.com/blogsandforums/...

FLAG
By nicelegs
From Denver
Mar 11, 2013
EricSchmidt wrote:
Are you offering to blow random people on the internet? A moron and a SLUT... Well done.


Are you?

I guess I'll have to repost this when Mr. Internet toughguy logs off. When is your bedtime pumpkin?

FLAG
By SDY
Mar 11, 2013
Kai Larson wrote:
My wife is not a celiac, but is allergic to gluten. (She has a severe neurological reaction when exposed to it.) There are many non-celiacs who are allergic to gluten.


Again, not an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction has a very specific definition involving the massive release of histamine, think a spectrum from hives to anaphylaxis. "Allergic" itself has become a fad word these days, almost nobody is allergic to the things they think they are.

FLAG
By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Mar 11, 2013
OTL
Best thread in under 30 mins evar.

FLAG
By nicelegs
From Denver
Mar 11, 2013
Matt N wrote:
Best thread in under 30 mins evar.


I agree. I actually thought it'd languish in obscurity for about 6 months until someone who actually has an answer to my question (no-one has yet posted any semblance of an answer to the question I asked) happened along.

FLAG
By SDY
Mar 11, 2013
nicelegs wrote:
pumpkin?


Yes, probably pumpkin beers too, better tasting than rice, less gluten than a full wheat beer!

FLAG
By Crag Dweller
From New York, NY
Mar 11, 2013
My navigator keeps me from getting lost
EricSchmidt wrote:
You do realize gluten free is not one of the latest fad diets like paleo? People that are gluten free have a medical allergy, they dont just "try gluten free" to lose weight and feel better. They have an ALLERGIC reaction if they eat gluent. I am sorry but my girlfriend has celiac disease and it pisses me off when people think its some kinda a diet to "try out to feel better."



That's simply not true.

It is true that there are those with severe allergies like celiac (I dated a girl who had that too). If you ever witness what happens when they consume gluten, you'll see that they really don't have much choice.

But, there are also a lot of people who subscribe to the diet simply to feel better and report positive effects. I dated another girl who had no allergies but was religiously gluten free simply to feel better. And, she experienced a lot of benefits after she made the switch.

I also work with three individuals who do it, one of whom has a nutritionist's degree. I asked her about the benefits of a gluten free diet. She explained that, although many of us do not notice the negative effects of gluten, it does have negative effects and not eating it will create positive results.

All that said, I'm not going gluten free. I enjoy craft beer way too much to do it.

FLAG
 
By SDY
Mar 11, 2013
nicelegs wrote:
(no-one has yet posted any semblance of an answer to the question I asked)



And I doubt anyone ever will, the only impetus anyone has to measure gluten in a beer is to sell it as gluten free. So no one will measure the content of a beer that is not gluten free, waste of time and money. Glutards would never measure gluten content of regular beer because they would never consider touching the stuff. You are stuck at that awkward "just the tip" phase in the middle. Go hard or go home.

FLAG
By SDY
Mar 11, 2013
Crag Dweller wrote:
allergies like celiac
not an allergy. Pretty sure I could fill then next ten pages saying this.

FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 4.  1  2  3  4   Next>   Last>>