Giving it all up for a simpler life
Page 1 of 5.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>

Nov 2, 2012
Whaaaat?
A couple years ago I came across a thread here on this subject. If my memory serves me, there were a number of guys giving their experiences quitting jobs for a simpler life. I've looked but can't find it. Anyone remember or contributed to this thread that could link it? I vaguely remember a book that was mentioned too...

BackCountry
From Ogden, UT
Joined Oct 29, 2009
421 points
Nov 4, 2012
The "simpler life" isn't all it's cracked up to be. Eventually, you will want some security. Your body will start to give out and your priorities will change. You will wish you had a home, IRA, health insurance, good credit, and money in the bank. It's not that hard to find a compromise between the rat race and the simple life. Just my two cents. Superclimber
Joined Mar 7, 2009
1,486 points
Nov 4, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
Chris Miller wrote:

Yup. It seems that there is no such thing as a simple life. You're just trading one kind of complexity for another.
Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Joined Aug 15, 2008
357 points
Nov 4, 2012
The only simple life is the life where you have zero concern for money. So... go win the lottery, otherwise it doesn't exist.

IMO.
Dustin Drake
Joined Feb 12, 2012
5 points
Nov 4, 2012
I'm psyched on the subject. The simple life can be done! You are of course going to need some money, so I say quit the rat race but find a very flexible job. I know a few guys who work but live in the cars and pretty much climb 3/4 of the year.

There are stories out there about people living on a $1 a day or something but I think those are some special cases, however, you can get almost anything you need for cheap or free if you're savvy enough.

Step one: Live in your car, duh.
Step two: You will need some $ from somewhere so figure how to save it up or earn it along the way. Some folks do resoles, some make chalk bags but you've got to do something otherwise your simple life will be temporary.
Step three: Tough up. Sometimes it's gonna suck so learn to deal.
Tradoholic
Joined Apr 17, 2004
12,481 points
Nov 5, 2012
NY Times on how good wine, good friends, and living simply can help you live longer.? dylanfllr
Joined Feb 14, 2012
3 points

Tradoholic
Joined Apr 17, 2004
12,481 points
Nov 5, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
Whatever you do, don't knock anyone up if you wanna "live simply". Having a rugrat is the antithesis to living simply. Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Joined Jul 30, 2011
1,141 points
Jake Jones wrote:

Nah, I disagree, you can still live simple with kids, I think this hinges on our definition of living simple. Obviously kids make it harder and you can't be a bum buts there's all this shit out there that people think they need but they don't and people waste tons of money on useless shit.
Tradoholic
Joined Apr 17, 2004
12,481 points
Nov 5, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
Definitely agree with that. Seemed to me as though the definition of "living simply" was leaning toward living out of a car- which you cannot do with a kid. Legally at least. Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Joined Jul 30, 2011
1,141 points
Bocan
Jon Zucco wrote:

I agree with this. You can make your life as simple or complex as you want. You can work a sh*t job and still have all the bills and drama, or you can work the corporate job and have none of the trappings.

The majority of things that have made my life "not simple" were a result of my decisions.
Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 15, 2006
952 points
Red Tagger wrote:
It shouldn't be hard to make 10k a year, that's 20hrs a week at $10/hr. So lets start there with a budget. Expenses: Food, gas, car insurance, camping/living, cell phone (maybe), health insurance (maybe), car repairs, some gear, ???? What else?

Sounds good, except there should be no maybe when it comes to health insurance.
Jeff Kent
From Sedona, Az
Joined Oct 10, 2012
5 points
Indy pass
So is anyone going to answer the original question or just talk about their opinions of the merits (or lack thereof) of a simpler life? Jason N.
From Grand Junction
Joined Mar 18, 2011
23 points
Bocan
Jason N. wrote:

I looked back for it and couldn't find it.
Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Joined Feb 15, 2006
952 points
Indy pass
Chris Miller wrote:

Aren't these feelings ultimately dependent on the individual? I see no problem with lots of diverging life trajectories.
Jason N.
From Grand Junction
Joined Mar 18, 2011
23 points
Top of Bridalveil, feelin good
Dont get married. Dont have kids. Dont buy into the yuppie consumer lifestyle. Just go climb. Its really that simple. erik wellborn
From manitou springs
Joined Apr 3, 2008
370 points
El Chorro
I "lived simply" for many years after I graduated university. Until 2012, the most money I had ever made in one year was less than $7000 (not counting scholarship money, which payed for my education). I very much enjoyed that time of my life - go to climb all over and see every part of the world.

I am paying for it a bit right now though... I have a nice life but I'm turning 29 tomorrow and don't even own a car. Hopefully next year I'll have a car and a nice place and maybe even a child, but right now I have the job of a recent college graduate. It's great for climbing and traveling (which I still do a lot), but it's not great for saving money and supporting a family.

I don't regret for one moment spending the last 5 years living in my car (that I sold to my dad for $1) or a tent or a hut on the beach. Amazing time of my life. But the deeper you get into that lifestyle, the harder it gets to move out of it if you ever decide that you want more. I personally always knew that I wanted a good career and a family - so I had a plan. It is in motion, but it ain't easy.

I guess what I'm saying is to make a plan for yourself and always have an "exit strategy."
Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Joined May 10, 2009
1,468 points
Nov 5, 2012
Feeling it necessary to participate in the "rat-race" is only for those that lack creativity in life! Bob Dobalina
Joined Jun 2, 2009
178 points
Nov 5, 2012
I like to be able to buy climbing shoes without worrying about the price. I like going out to eat whenever I want. I like to be able to go to climbing areas without worrying about gas money or how to skirt camp fees.
Don said of the "simple life": It's a great life provided you don't weaken.
Jeff Kent
From Sedona, Az
Joined Oct 10, 2012
5 points
Dreamweaver
Bob Dobalina wrote:

OK...

I love my job.

I love climbing.

Life is fulfilling.

See comment above regarding diverging life-styles.
Dave Bn
From Fort Collins, CO
Joined Jul 13, 2011
15 points
me
We will all be living much simpler lives in the near future. Most of our day will be spent hunting squirrels and cats for food and keeping the fire going. Assuming Obama gets reelected, that is. Ben Dover
Joined Oct 17, 2008
80 points
Ben Dover wrote:

Ben Dover, I'm surprised you can light your meth pipe without catching your back hair on fire you neanderthal.
Jeff Kent
From Sedona, Az
Joined Oct 10, 2012
5 points
Indy pass
Ryan Williams wrote:
...Amazing time of my life. But the deeper you get into that lifestyle, the harder it gets to move out of it if you ever decide that you want something different.

There, fixed it for ya ;)
Jason N.
From Grand Junction
Joined Mar 18, 2011
23 points
rockerwaves

This is not a dress rehearsal!
This is not a dress rehearsal!
Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Joined Mar 16, 2007
4,261 points
me
Jeff Kent wrote:

Whats coming
Whats coming

I doubt they'll differentiate between you and me
Ben Dover
Joined Oct 17, 2008
80 points
Nov 5, 2012
If you're looking for advice about how to live a simple life on the internet your FUKT! Try reading some books from adventures that lived the simple life. The real answer has been stated already by Olaf Mitchell... Best advice yet. Sir Wanksalot
From County Jail
Joined Sep 29, 2011
14 points

Page 1 of 5.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>
Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!