Give users admin powers in their own FS posts?

By caughtinside
From Oakland CA
Jan 6, 2011

This is just a suggestion, brought on by all the debate in for sale posts.

What about giving the original poster the power to moderate their own posts in that forum? Most threads are fine, but there is an awful lot of guys piping up in there saying it's a lousy deal, or calling the OP a jerk for asking too much.

This sort of stuff doesn't happen on a normal classified ad, or ebay or craigslist post. I don't think a simple post selling something needs to be subject to debate. I say give the OP total whack a mole power in their own FS threads. If they don't want to use it, they don't have to.

By cheifitj
From Boulder, Colorado
Jan 6, 2011
Casual Route Pitch 3  <br />Photo by Mark Cushman

Not sure I agree with that thought, as some time people give links to better or similar deals and the OP could just kill those if so inclined. One shouldn't be able to erase bad commentary about them, perhaps someone had a bad experience with the seller and I think its fair for others to be aware of that.

I do think that the OP should be able to delete the thread entirely. As things sell and the thread becomes obsolete.
OR have a sold/ complete radio button that when the OP clicks the thread goes away and out of our lives. (just for cleaning purposes)

-Jon

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Jan 6, 2011
Bocan

Or it could go like RC.com where it's a classified and you only have the option to message the person.

I don't think that style is as effective, but it sure cuts down on the douchebaggery.

By caughtinside
From Oakland CA
Jan 6, 2011

cheifitj wrote:

I think the OP should be able to kill those. I say it's on the buyer to shop around. It's not that hard with all the online shopping bots. I see something on MP, the first thing I do is plug it into google shopping, see what it goes for new, and then decide if I want to buy.

And look at all the other nonsense. A guy posts 'old ropes, make an offer' and dudes are calling him an asshole right out of the gate. No interest in the ropes, no intent to offer him $5, just want to call him names.

I posted some link cams a while ago. They were used. Some dude posted info from a prodeal site that wasn't accessible to the public to show that my offer was not a good deal. I think that should be nukeable.

Seems like trying to mess with someone's sale violates good old guideline #1. What's wrong with, if you don't like the price, don't buy and move along?

By Mike Larson
From Los Angeles, CA
Jan 6, 2011
Weeping Wall Central Pillar

I'm not a fan of this idea. I like how the MP community can keep a seller honest. If the seller has admin powers, he could delete anything that could possibly hurt his sale, including a post by someone who had a bad prior experience with the seller. MP is not ebay. We don't have a built in feedback mechanism or automatic price comparison. The community fills both roles. If a person wants to charge an artificially high price, they are free to, but don't come complaining when someone calls them out on it.

By caughtinside
From Oakland CA
Jan 6, 2011

That is the problem though... what is an artificially high price? It is going to be different for everyone. I have seen plenty of stuff posted where I thought no way will they get that, but people lined up to buy it.

Then you have the ropes guy who just says make me an offer and people jump all over him. Those old ropes have some value (in my opinion) but people are pissed he isn't giving them away.

I have never seen anything productive come out of a debate in a FS thread.

I made the proposal I did because I think there is value in the ability to ask a seller questions about the gear. It's just too bad people feel the need to chime in if they don't feel the stuff is cheap enough.

By doligo
Jan 6, 2011
Jose Cuervo Fruitcups dirtbag style

I'm not a fan of the idea. Like others said, having a feedback helps sellers and buyers honest. I recently had some snafu with my MP.com transaction, if the OP had powers to moderate the thread, not sure if I would have gotten the gear or my money back. Here is the thread: mountainproject.com/v/for_sale__wanted/fs_bd_ice_screws_yate>>>

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
Jan 6, 2011
OMG, I winz!!!

not in favor

By Nick Stayner
From The Magic City
Jan 6, 2011
Nick Stayner near the crux. Ryan Minton photo.

I like the for sale ads the way they are. I don't necessarily agree with other poster's assertions that it "keeps the seller honest", but I do think it can start a dialogue and help inform everyone about the item. If you don't like it, post stuff on craigslist, ebay, or any other number of classified sites.
Also, it probably cuts down on the number of scammers that would try to cheat the users of this site.

By slim
Jan 6, 2011
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.

i kind of like the banter in its current form. it probably keeps the sellers honest, to some degree.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jan 7, 2011
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

Keep it the way it is. If you have an actual good deal, no one will give you any grief. I was very happy with how my gear closet sale went.