Giant Rock, Landers CA

By Michael Truax
From the desert
Jan 2, 2012
Classic Thin Crack, Joshua Tree

Anyone have any information about the boulders in the Giant Rock area? Or know if any of the problems there have been documented? There are a few bolted routes on the MP page but that is all I have found so far.

By toddgordon
From Joshua Tree, California
Jan 2, 2012

Craig Fry's southern Calif. bouldering guide has two pages on bouldering at Giant Rock( pp. 120-121). Best of mOther Rock Vol one (P.30-31) contains two pages of info on DMZ sport climbs (AKA Shady Grove) at Giant Rock. And there is an underground guide of some more sport climbs (Tyler) up on the hillside on the large boulders above Giant Rock (I have a copy somewhere...so does Chris Miller, I believe)....the info is out there...but sort of hard to find....

By Michael Truax
From the desert
Jan 2, 2012
Classic Thin Crack, Joshua Tree

Thanks Todd. I will look into these. If you come across your copy of the underground guide maybe I could convince you to make some photo copies of it? I would pay for it of course. I am interested in developing (and cleaning up) this area a little more and I would like to find out what has been done so far.

By Chad_N
From SEKI, CA
Jan 3, 2012
topping out on Hamilton Dome with the Angel Wings in the background

Keep us updated. I've been there a few times on my drives to/fro Josh. Had a few holds break on me, but there are some decent lines there for sure.

By Michael Truax
From the desert
Jan 3, 2012
Classic Thin Crack, Joshua Tree

It definitely needs some TLC but I think it has some potential.

By Steve Parker
Mar 29, 2013

LOL!
I just saw this thread....
Been there, done that!
Fun stuff

By C Miller
Mar 29, 2013
High Desert Sunrise, Joshua Tree NP

Steve - it's nice to see you here and how is Arizona?