Getting busted for sleeping in a car.
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Stephanie2013

By RockinOut
From NY, NY
Gear

Walmart parking lots and truck stops havent been bothered in those. Starbucks provides free internet and they have the best bathrooms since they are single person with locks on the door...good place for a baby wipe bath and a shave

By Zirkel
From Bishop, CA
May 3, 2013
Owens Gorge.  Mt Tom in background.

Get a car cover.

By Kenan
Shelf Rd

Zirkel wrote:
Get a car cover.

Kinda difficult to put it on while you're in the car, no?

By J Q
Me again!

Stephanie2013 wrote:
So, I got busted twice with no serious reprecusions so far. A little background: I am living the vagabound dream not bothering anybody, just being a free spirit. Who has stories of your years on the road? Different states..worldwide advice too?

Not nearly as dangerous as preaching a dangerous and violent ideology, but still more illegal: I love this schizophrenic nightmare!

Just don't live in those "fascist" states and you will be all good, I hear there are a few states left with freedom, you do this research, I already did.

The sad news is that fascism is all the rage these days, from music, to babies, to drugs, to sexual preferences, so,

Who don't you get a job you dirt-bag!!!

Simply put, you are offending people with your lowly dirt bag presence; just like music, logical ideas, and thinking for ones' self is offensive to those who view themselves as the righteous inheritors of Amerika.

Get with it, there is only one choice, that choice is progress, that choice is freedom, and if you don't like it, you can get the free fuck out of this free to be fascist paradise.

AMERICA!!!!!!

Rant over.

By todd w

^^^

By David Sahalie
From on the road again
May 3, 2013

I heard a story of a kiwi climber sleeping in a rental car in Yosemite. Coming from NZ, he had no idea he was breaking the (idiotic) law. So, when he argued with cop, he was put in jail in Fresno and got raped. Haven't found interweb verification.

By todd w

www.naturalnews.com/040043_police_state_SWAT_home_raids.html

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA

David Sahalie wrote:

Sounds like an internet fable. Besides, who would be stupid enough to argue with a cop in a foreign country, especially if all they're doing is handing you a ticket (and you'll likely to be leaving the country anyways). Try that routine in the third world and you'd be seriously hosed. Ever seen 'Locked Up Abroad'?

By David Sahalie
From on the road again
May 3, 2013

Cops have a waaaaay shorter fuse in the US, ESP. California than civilized places like Europe, au, NZ.

By alleyehave
From San Diego, CA
Start of Pitch 3

David Sahalie wrote:

Wow, it sounds like you've done some pretty extensive international psychiatric profiling to determine this so confidently? Impressive.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Kenan wrote:
Kinda difficult to put it on while you're in the car, no?

2 or 3 reflective sun shades that roll up. Front and back windows, and maybe even over your sleeping self and gear for the third. I use busy all night gas station/truck stops and park a bit away from busy sections..but not for more than 6 hours of sleep.

By APBT1976
Black Dike 12/25/11

So lame we cant sleep in our own cars..

Wont stop me...

Fuck paying for hotels 2-3 days a week, not gonna happen...

By S. Neoh
May 3, 2013

What about sleeping in a pickup with a cab in the back equipped with privacy shades? Is that illegal in CA? Is the issue spending the night in a parking lot or the actual act of sleeping in a car itself?

By Andy Laakmann
Site Landlord
From Bend, OR
May 3, 2013
Racked and loaded... name that splitter behind me? Hint, its on Supercrack Buttress

Stephanie2013 = Elanor. You've all been trolled. Don't feed the trolls.

By Jim Sweeney

Rockin'Out,

Been up to the Gunks much?
New Paltz Starbucks Potty Cam

By adamx
May 3, 2013

In order, over the course of many years:

1) Orlando Florida, private security asked me to leave so I did.. no sense in getting the holice involved.

2) San Diego - super violent cop threatened to falsely arrest my girlfriend and I. I'd say we were pretty close to getting beat up and arrested. Stayed cool and got the fuck out of there.

3) Redding Ca - cops banging on windows and shining spotlights, flashlights for about 15a minutes, then parked around the corner so I'd think he left and "come out of hiding". I just never answered the door.. they came back a few times throughout the night, but no problems.

4) hotel security asked me to leave within moments of pulling in.. some ritzy place in the NW.. hardly surprising.

Many hundreds of nights. Kids sleep free! Just keep your curtains drawn and guns loaded

By H..
From Washingtonville NY
May 3, 2013

traveling cross country for 2 months in my little car I've slept in walmart parking lots (even got the ok to pitch a tent behind them in one place), fast food parking lots, rest stops (an obvious choice) and the side of the road. I had a light shone on me once on the side of the road and then was left alone and told to leave when parked in the lot of Zion (no camping in the lot).

Really, just give it A thought. People are not going to be cool with you sleeping in your car in a residential area, nor in front of a closed business because its sketchy. Other than that, I've never run into issues.

By Greg D
From Here
May 4, 2013
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />

H.. wrote:
because its sketchy. Other than that, I've never run into issues.

Which law refers to "sketchy"?

Wake up people. The only rights you have are the ones you know you have and are willing to defend. If you are not breaking a law its that simple.

Sorry, the police aren't really into protecting your rights these days.

By Travis Dustin
From Hollis, NH
May 4, 2013
NH

In southern California me and my buddy were woken up by the cops with guns drawn and very hostile. I got a ticket but i dont think I paid it.
Another time in NH I was woken up while sleeping on top of my jeeo cherokee and got a rather steep fine and had to leave the area. We got an early start climbing that day!

By ryan albery
From Cruisertonfieldville
May 4, 2013

I've probably logged 2K nights of sleeping in my truck or van over the past 15 years. Best advice I can offer would be to look at a map, have some idea as to where your headed, and try and make it there before it gets dark. Driving around looking for a spot to park for the night sucks.

I've found (with rare exceptions) that parking and sleeping in your vehicle where you know you're not supposed to be is more of a hassle than it's worth. If you are busted for sleeping somewhere, be humble, and respectful. Know your 4th amendment rights, quote it to them if they're wanting to search your stuff (your home), and tell them you're going to video tape the search. But humility and honesty counts for a lot. 'I was too tired to keep on driving, I'll be gone in the morning.' And get up early and leave. Telling a cop anything about climbing, or where you're headed for climbing, just makes them think you're a dirtbag- something they don't understand.

By builttospill
May 4, 2013

Most problems I or people I know have experienced have to do with sleeping in parking lots for businesses. Don't do that.

Sleeping along main roads is also a bad idea. But if you're quite discreet I generally haven't had as many problems sleeping in neighborhoods, especially if you park in an area where a homeowner might think you're visiting a neighbor, and that neighbor thinks you might be visiting the other neighbor--that kind of thing.

Walmart and rest stops are your best bets, though. Or pullouts where it is obvious other people sleep. There is a pullout north of Jackson, WY like this. No idea if it's "legal," but there are always campers there.

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
May 4, 2013
modern man

Andy Laakmann wrote:
Stephanie2013 = Elanor. You've all been trolled. Don't feed the trolls.

you might think they'd listen to you

yet another friday night on the proj

By TylerVaughan
From Glenwood Springs, Colorado
May 5, 2013

limo tint yo windows!!

By John D
May 5, 2013

My car is too small to sleep in (mini cooper) so I end up crashing outside. I've slept at rest stops, in national forests, in parks, all over.

I was sleeping at a trail head a few years ago, I think there were signs that said no camping, and I was rudely awoken by the PD at 6:30am. They frisked me, asked me why I was there, and let me off with a verbal warning.

I think it's funny that there are rules about where you can and can't sleep. You don't think about it when you have a house or somewhere to sleep but it's a different perspective when you need to crash for free.

By Ed Wright
May 5, 2013
Magic Ed

Spent a whole month once living out of my vehicle parked on the hill in Boulder. Just made sure I was a few blocks away from the main commercial area. Never had a problem.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>