Maybe bolting isn't so bad...

By smithygreg
From Portland,OR
Dec 17, 2009
Backstreet Boys climbing club

By Mark Cushman
From Cumming, GA
Dec 17, 2009
Profiley Styley
Trundling via helicopter. Way cool.

By Crag Dweller
From New York, NY
Dec 17, 2009
My navigator keeps me from getting lost
so, if you clean and bolt via helicopter, does it count as a ground up ascent?

By Evan1984
Dec 17, 2009
toys like that make me want to join the military.

Yeah, it puts bolting in perspective. But...

By Tim C
From Lakewood, CO
Dec 17, 2009
Grahh! There be a human in my Throne!
Helicopter wrecking ball! And they washed the rock off when they were done.

By Perin Blanchard
From Orem, UT
Dec 17, 2009
Racking too much gear, as usual.
The description of the video on youtube is amusing:

NapalmNewt wrote:
A helicopter smacks down a rock off a cliff face to eliminate a rock fall hazard for the road below. The helicopter than displays it's dominance of the Fjord by urinating all over the rock face. This is done to loosen and remove any remaining small rocks that may fail at another time and cream a volvo or saab on the road below.

By Billcoe
Dec 20, 2009
Wow, that can't be cheap. Probably more cost efficient than replacing the road though.

By Bob Dobalina
Dec 20, 2009
I always wondered what those rockfall fences would look like after a good big hit. They obviously work great! Cool footage.

By David Aguasca!
From New York
Dec 20, 2009
Oh no! OUT OF COFFEE! ALL IS LOST
Billcoe wrote:

Or a person. I hear the demand for them is way up.

By Jonas Salk
Dec 21, 2009
Perin Blanchard wrote:
The description of the video on youtube is amusing:

i think the description may be better than the video itself.

By Jaaron Mankins
From Bayfield, CO
Dec 21, 2009
San Juans.
Could dropping water on key backcountry cliffs create sick ice climbs?? Dream a little dream.

By Mike Anderson
From Colorado Springs, CO
Dec 23, 2009
According to my Dad, the Norwegians have a lot of money from oil prospecting so they can afford that kind of stuff.

In the US, we would just fire artillery at it. That's what we have a lot of.

By 1Eric Rhicard
Dec 23, 2009
It is a good sized roof. Photo: Jimbo
This makes chosstafarians green with envy. My buddy Vince would love it more for cleaning off tick marks.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Dec 23, 2009
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Pea...
Speaking of artillery...

Sadly, we used to have a lot of surplus howitzer artillery from WWII that was put to good use in avalanche mitigation. Recoiless rifles were also used, but one exploded in the tube and killed the operator once and they fell out of favor. Artillery is not cheap anymore, as it is much more complex and consequently more expensive. So they use air cannons now amongst other methods.