Fall while free soloing
   Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>

By rob.calm
From Loveland, Colorado
Mother #1 on the Nautilus at Vedauwoo. Rob is calm on this happy offwidth
An entertaining and instructional video.

Or if you prefer youtube

youtube.com/watch?v=FP-nW6xs56A

Cheers,
Rob.calm

By Matt Nelson
From Pueblo, CO
Me rappin...
Oww, I cant imagine the rope burn from grabbing the rope like that.

By Garrett R.
From Colorado
That was terrifying...
Not sure if a ground fall from that high is something that I could laugh off like that, but I suppose I don't know what a more appropriate response would be.

By tom selleck
Dec 2, 2009
So close to a darwin award

By Buff Johnson
smiley face
Capt Kirk is climbing the mountain.
Why is he climbing the mountain?

Capt Kirk is climbing the mountain.
Why is he climbing the mountain?

Capt Kirk is climbing the mountain.
Why is he climbing the mountain?

By Andy Laakmann
Site Landlord
From Bend, OR
Dec 2, 2009
Racked and loaded... name that splitter behind me? Hint, its on Supercrack Buttress
Buff Johnson wrote:
Capt Kirk is climbing the mountain. Why is he climbing the mountain? Capt Kirk is climbing the mountain. Why is he climbing the mountain? Capt Kirk is climbing the mountain. Why is he climbing the mountain?

DAMN IT Buff! It took 3 days to get that song out of my head. And now it's back.

By Burt Lindquist
From Madison, WI
Trying to stay warm up on Brownstone Wall Red Rocks, NV
I am betting that the guy was more hurt then he lets on at video end. The shot of him struggling (his lower back looks stiff or maybe he smashed his tail bone?) up the stairway gives that away. I recently (and most reluctantly) took about a 20 foot ground fall and sure I walked away from it but the next day... Ouch! I discovered all sorts of spots and places where damage was done. I wasn't soloing but 3rd class'n in damp conditions. This guy is REALLY lucky he has walked away from this but I am sure he has deep bruising at the very least.

By Aaron M
From Westminster, CO
Me
Ok, lets all solo when we have a rope (that is in the way) and a bunch of people (belayers) standing around doing nothing!?! hmmmmm

By Abram Herman
From Golden, CO
Dec 2, 2009
Viking helmet cover, yep.
Aaron M wrote:

Yeah, you can tell no ego was involved in this decision :) Apparently it was some kind of Freudian slip when he said you get more "cocky" in your ability, only to quickly change the phrasing to "confident"

By ccross
From San Diego, CA
Dec 2, 2009
He looked to be very close to landing in paralysis on that rock with his back.
When I heard the rope sliding through the anchor it was pretty spooky. If you are going to free solo, with a harness on, right next to a rope, and with an easy walk around, I think you should tie the rope off at the anchor. This way if something happens you only have to grab one rope and rappel.

By caughtinside
From Oakland CA
Dec 2, 2009
listening to him talk about bachar was the most painful part.

By Francisco Di Poi
From Boulder, CO
Dec 2, 2009
does it count as soloing if you have a rope right next to you to grab in case you fall?

you think if that rope wasn't there he would have focused more and not fallen?

just some questions that come to mind

By phillip
Dec 2, 2009
"Look at the intensity in his eyes- He's ready to go!"

Um... yeah... DOWN!

By Crag Dweller
From New York, NY
Dec 2, 2009
My navigator keeps me from getting lost
am i the only one who feels like something is suspicious about the video?

By Brigette
From Seattle, WA
At the anchors.
Crag Dweller wrote:
am i the only one who feels like something is suspicious about the video? no one screams or rushes to help. well, at least not with any urgency. if one of my friends fell doing that, i doubt i would keep the camera rolling and walk over to see how he was. i may forget to stop the camera but i'd sure as hell pull it away from my face so i could run over to check on my friend. i dunno. maybe it seems suspicious to me b/c it's hard to believe someone can fall that far w/o any injuries. but, it seems kinda fishy.

..."friend" being the operative word...

They were probably all standing around thinking: "Watch this dumba$$ fall and kill himself." "Oh well. One outta two ain't bad"

By Ian F.
From Phx
Dec 2, 2009
Wow! I don't know where to start. The guy is an idiot #1.

I replayed his fall from 1:49 multiple times, and it seems as if he intintially let go, thinking he was going to be able to grab the rope.

If a person is free soloing they don't let go, and he did. It wasn't a slip, more or less a let go like you would on TR.

He's lucky, and I hope he hurt for some time due to his cockyness.

By Toe Moss
From Colorado
Dec 2, 2009
Did anyone else notice that after the fall, on multiple occasions, the guy in the maroon shirt (belayer for the girl that's climbing) has his hands off the rope completely?

It was a Figure 8 belay device too. Fig 8's don't have that "gri-gri" function do they? I know that girl wasn't that high off the ground, but still, wtf? This group is definitely not one which I'll climb with.

By Buff Johnson
smiley face
not that a gri-gri is a hands-off device anyway, but what do I know

By Wayne Crill
From an Altered State
pilon fracture
Ian F. wrote:

I do think it was a real fall Brigette, nevertheless, it appeared quite obvious to me that his foot did not slip as he claimed, and that he was reversing the move when he *fell*. I would presume that he was at a crux or cruxy reach/lock-off, he didn't feel like he had the move in him, attempted to reverse the move - maybe with full intention of holding on and repeating it - yet for whatever reason, I agree with Ian that he then attempted to grab the ropes.
not to worry Matt he probably received little rope burn as it appears he grabbed only one rope of a TR set up and all the sliding/noise is the line running through the anchor/past him/off the grnd.

Take home message? not sure, but more than anything to me it seems to call out for all of us to question our motivations for what we are doing/what we do.

glad he wasn't hurt worse.

By broppler
From Oakland
dinner ledge
His foot slipped. Watch it closely. Seems like a solid group to me.

By Richard Radcliffe
From Louisville, CO
Buff Johnson wrote:
not that a gri-gri is a hands-off device anyway, but what do I know

What do you know? Here's what you know:

11.00100 10000 11111 10110...

By Buff Johnson
smiley face
asshat, I just spit out my root beer

By kBobby
From Spokane, WA
Richard Radcliffe wrote:
What do you know? Here's what you know: 11.00100 10000 11111 10110...

Richard, why are you smearing [;\pi;] all over the interweb? By the way, [;2\pi;] is more fundamental as a constant. :P

By Joe Cappiello
Dec 2, 2009
hope this crew of jokers stays somewhere in PA

By Richard Radcliffe
From Louisville, CO
Bobby Hanson wrote:

Just trying top make Mitchell go crazy.

By Andrew James C
From Portland, OR
Wide abgle!
Man what a douche, compareing himself to Bacher?

Page 1 of 3.  1  2  3   Next>   Last>>