Gear4Rocks Ice Axe Tool?

shop.gear4rocks.com/en/ice-snow/ice-axe-tool/prod_130.html

Thoughts? Experience? Reviews?

By kennoyce
From Layton, UT
Climbing at the Gallery in Red Rocks

Adam Thomas wrote:
Trying hard to follow guideline #1, but someone just told me they bought a pair of these: shop.gear4rocks.com/en/ice-snow/ice-axe-tool/prod_130.html Thoughts? Experience? Reviews? Aside from the obvious, wouldn't any sort of fall wedge your fingers into that sharp spot at the bottom?

Wow, those things look awesome. I would so love to show up at Ouray with a pair of those just to see the kinds of looks I'd get. Come to think of it, I might just have to spend $5 and make a pair for myself.

By AThomas
Oct 24, 2012

He was joking. Thank god. Thought I'd have to divorce him as a climbing partner.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
OTL

The gear4ice version is much better.

By superkick
From West Hartford, CT
Free Solo up hitchcock gully WI3

theyd be awesome for the zombie apocolypse. quick smooth and wont get jammed in a skull like a real ice axe.

By AThomas

Matt N wrote:
The gear4ice version is much better.

Haha.

By David Appelhans
From Lafayette
Imaginate

Wow, those Ukrainians are genius. Look at the advances in design communism has bred. If only we could get that crummy capitalism out of people's heads over here.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

C'mon, we made those in metal shop class back in the 70's to use as nut tools!!! Talk about cheap and worthless!!! These definately are worse than their shitty cams.

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

superkick wrote:

+1 for zombies. light, durable and deadly.

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Cleo's Needle

Good lord...

By Dankasaurus
From Lyons, CO
Oct 24, 2012

They are like B movies...they will be super popular in 20 years. Kind of like Logan's Run.

By Josh Kornish
The Roach

They even make Hangers !

I'd whip on that!

By Aric Datesman
Oct 24, 2012

As amusing as it may be to make fun on them, not everywhere has the disposable income and amount of big-name equipment available that we have here in the US. Sure, those ice axes are a bit ghetto. But what's wrong with the hangers? Do a bit of traveling in less-frequented places and you'll be wishing you had hangers so nice....

By Woodchuck ATC
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

I'm waiting for them to knit their own ropes out of yak hair.

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Cleo's Needle

In mother Russia, ice tools you!

By Garret Nuzzo-Jones
From Salt Lake City, UT
Oct 25, 2012
Cleaning up in Jenny Lake.

Aric Datesman wrote:

The entire point of ice climbing is to outspend every other sport on the planet. You win when you have ice tools more valuable than your house.

By superkick
From West Hartford, CT
Oct 25, 2012
Free Solo up hitchcock gully WI3

their cams are way more expensive than most cams on the market

By wivanoff
Oct 25, 2012
High Exposure

Adam Thomas wrote:

Not exactly a new design. Sort of reminiscent of the old MSR "Ice Hawks", minus the fluke. Never owned them. I think you were supposed to use them with stirrups for your feet, too.

By alpinejason
From Eau Claire
Oct 25, 2012

I definitely know some Russians that climb on very similar meat hooks.

They're not for swinging but they can hook their way up just about anything. Oh and theirs are homemade.

By Morgan Patterson
Oct 25, 2012
Stoked...

Woodchuck ATC wrote:
I'm waiting for them to knit their own ropes out of yak hair.

hahaahahhahhhhahahahaha ahahashhahahhh

By Gunkiemike
Oct 25, 2012

Aric Datesman wrote:
But what's wrong with the hangers?

They're massively overpriced?

As for those tools, I would LOVE to take them out for a spin. Not going to buy a set though.

By Martin le Roux
From Superior, CO
Oct 25, 2012
Stairway to Heaven

Garret Nuzzo-Jones wrote:

You need to persuade yourself that you need a shiny new AT skiing setup in order to get to the ice climbs. That way you can quadruple whatever you've spent on ice tools.

By Jeff J
From Bozeman
Oct 25, 2012

Is it just me or does the handle look like its made from a folding lawn chair.

By Randy Aristotle
From Orchard Park, NY
Oct 25, 2012

This has yielded some very amusing commentary. I feel a bit guilty now that I sent that link to the OP, and he had the compassion and balls to ask about it publicly :)

By Alex Whitman
Oct 25, 2012
Luxury Liner, Indian Creek

Wait. What the heck is this? Shock Absorber

By Woodchuck ATC
Oct 25, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Alex Whitman wrote:
Wait. What the heck is this? Shock Absorber Am I supposed to untie below my sketchy gear placement and thread this onto the rope?

Looks like an old style belay plate.....bet it works just great on their new style yak hair ropes.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>