FS: Stolen climbing gear
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Yarp
Apr 26, 2011
So I jacked at least 3 racks worth of gear last week. I don't climb and I'm just looking to get rid of it fast and a friend told me that MP would be a good place to do it. No buyer protection and completely anonymous sales. When I looked through the FS threads I notice that lots of gear gets moved through this site so I'm just wondering if it's pretty safe for me to do this cause it seems that you guys will buy pretty much anything without asking any questions.

Is this true?

By Evan Sanders
From Westminster, CO
Apr 26, 2011
Flaming Pumpkin
Paypal has buyer protection, and sales are never anonymous due to paypal unless you use cash in person, in which case still no anonymity. Normally people do ask questions, but there's no need to be accusatory about it to others

By Jeremy Monahan
From Fort Fun, CO
Apr 26, 2011
View of Longs Peak from Mt. Alice, RMNP

By Stiles
From the Mountains
Apr 26, 2011
Rough
It looks like Spiderman could fit through those bars...

By Tyler Wick
From Bishop, CA
Apr 26, 2011
ECM
I'm looking for a c3 #1, see if you can jack one of those for me.

By Keith H. North
From Englewood, CO
A short M4 climb in the School Room @ Ouray
This is a joke right?

By Dan Richards
From Foothill Ranch CA
Apr 27, 2011
I need a conscience and a soul, can you jack one of those for me?

By martinharris
From Glenwood Springs CO
Apr 27, 2011
booty is one thing but talk about bad karma climbing on a stolen rack

By Bang
From Charlottesville, VA
Thanks Hank Caylor!
Keith H. North wrote:
This is a joke right?

By RyanJames
Photo by Aaron Lavinsky
I'm looking for some small gear. Yarp: where do you live?

As far as bad karma, gear is gear is gear.

By Ted Farley
From Bozeman, Mt
Bellying on the Wedge.
karma only exists if its armed robbery.

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage
How do you jack three whole racks? Seriously. Teach me ;)

By Chris90
From Unity, Maine
Apr 27, 2011
If I ever met you, I would most likely break your hands. Then punch you in the face

By Rick Blair
From Denver
Apr 27, 2011
This is a novel auto blocking belay device.  I think it works quite well, depending on rope thickness and sheath quality, it belays very smooth.  Great to lower with.  You gotta love over engineering.  $3 at a gear swap!

By Jay Brown
From Aspen, Colorado
Apr 27, 2011
<a href='http://Davidcliffordphotography.com' target='_blank' rel='nofollow' >davidcliffordphotography.com</a>
steal me a job bro!

By Yarp
Chris90 wrote:

It would be fun to watch you try this. PM me for my home address and we can arrange a session!

No this is not a joke. I am completely serious. I never troll. I stole three racks of gear and I'm publicly advertising that fact. Based on what I see being sold on MP I thought this was standard procedure?

[/sarcasm]

Seriously guys, maybe we can start asking some questions about some of the gear being sold on the FS boards here? Way too much "brand new" gear being sold by the same people on MP for it to all be legit. I'm sure much of it is and I'm not calling anyone out I just thought it was time to at least bring the subject up and see what others opinions are. It would seem to me that MP is acting as a clearing house for stolen gear but wtf do I know?

By matt.l.b
Personal
I hope this guy gets lead poisoning.

By Buck Dooley
Mmmmm... summit beer.....
Jeremy Monahan wrote:

Ha ha ha

I like meeting other /b/tards and redditors. It makes me happy.

By UpRope
Apr 27, 2011
Hey Yarp, go to supertopo.com/climbing/forum.p... and post your FS. Be sure to supply your real name and address to help facilitate a quick sale

By Brendan Blanchard
From Strafford, NH
Obi Wan Ryobi - Darth Vader Crag, Rumney NH
I don't think its as prevalent as you seem to think. The community itself is pretty well self-policed, and any smart buyer would make sure the MP user isn't a new member or just looking to dump gear under unusual circumstances or old gear in poor condition.

I myself have sold almost brand new gear on MP, I bought it at full retail and didn't need it/found something that I liked better. So I sold it to at least partially cover the cost of the new gear. Its not like climbers are exempt from buyers remorse, we all tend to buy more than we need, I highly doubt that even 20% of new-like new gear on MP is stolen, or purposely being sold for profit.

Its pretty easy to spot those trying to profit off of gear sales. They sell "NEW!!!!1" gear at 10%-15% off full retail without tags or manuals. Nothing you can't get legitimately through other sites or MP's Dirtbag Deals.

By Tyler Wick
From Bishop, CA
ECM
Yarp wrote:

I'm confused about what you are insinuating now. Is it that people are stealing whole racks from others and selling them here or people are robbing their local REI?

I don't think you would find a full set of new cams in the back of the vanagon at the th...

By Keith H. North
From Englewood, CO
Apr 28, 2011
A short M4 climb in the School Room @ Ouray
Rick Blair wrote:
Hmmmm... This guy Yarp says he is not a climber but he knows what a rack is and the way he uses the term "gear" makes me very suspicious. Something does not seem right here. I only buy stolen gear from people who tell the truth.

Read the comments he has posted on photos. He is a climber and a theif.

By Yarp
Apr 28, 2011
Keith H. North wrote:
Read the comments he has posted on photos. He is a climber and a theif.

Whats a theif?

By Ice4life
From SLC, UT
Apr 28, 2011
GYM
troll <br />
troll

By kachoong
From The Outback, Texas
Apr 28, 2011
Climbing at Frog Buttress
Why is Spiderman in jail?

By ian watson
From Albuquerque, NM
Apr 28, 2011
kachoong wrote:
Why is Spiderman in jail?

learn how to read, " jacked 3 racks"

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>