Fremont Canyon Anchor Destruction

By mike gibson
From Rapid City, SD
Aug 4, 2014

Was at Fremont Canyon this last weekend and found the anchors destroyed above the routes from Storming Intrepid to Kundalini Express.

These are the routes just east of the Indian's Head or west of Wine and Roses and it looked like maybe 6 sets of anchors total got trashed.

Anyone know what the story is here?

By Wyatt H
From Casper, Wy
Aug 4, 2014
Hi Mike, glad to meet you out there. I was gonna ask this if you didn't.

I'm surprised that Fremont Canyon would have this kind of issue, because a) nobody climbs there, and b) of the limited people I have seen, everyone climbing out there is way cool.

By nicelegs
From Denver
Aug 4, 2014
Chopped or pounded flat? I could easily see this as destruction from non-climbers.

By mike gibson
From Rapid City, SD
Aug 4, 2014

One hanger smashed flat, couple bolts pulled out, some hangers removed and the bolts pounded over sideways, some bolts pounded sideways to the point of breaking off flush with the rock.

Generally a sad and messy affair. My guess is non-climbers also.

Hi Wyatt, Great to meet you also. Maybe see you again next year.

By dan zika
From jax wy
Aug 9, 2014
tower fever <br />
That sucks Havent been there in a while & it is isolated. wonder why those rts?

By Joan Lee
Aug 9, 2014
Me
That surely sucks! Although a while back I heard the locals there are not climber friendly. I am not sure how true it is. I suspect it is an act of mischief. In general climbing stations (as much as possible ) should be in places where they cannot be tampered with by non climbers and camouflaged.

By BackAtItAgain
Aug 25, 2014
20 years ago we ran into some "not so friendly" locals out there. Frightening to say the least - after one of them tried to bum a smoke off me - to which i nicely responded - "sorry man, I dont smoke" - we rapped down to do a climb.. minutes later dude was above us holding a rock and threatening to "cut our f***ing lead rope".

We crossed the canyon ran back across the bridge - the two asswipes jumped in their 70's style stepside van and were so drunk - they lost control and hadn't it not been for one of the pillars holding the chain on the rim - we'd had watched them sail into the canyon.

Drove off - came backa few hours later to get our gear - and someone else told us the story about the bridge and the two sisters... weird place, weirder stuff.

Never been back.. wondering if the two we encountered that day many moons ago may be responsible...