Free Camping near Amarillo?

By WDW4
Apr 29, 2014
Global Village, Red River Gorge KY

I'm heading out to CA from KY this summer, and I typically camp nights to save some cash. After an unfortunate and inconvenient midnight awakening in the (apparently privately owned) backwoods of North Carolina, I am being more proactive about camping exclusively where it is allowed.

I'm looking for a free spot to pitch a tent near Amarillo, Texas. Front yards with permission, city parks where it is allowed, it all works. My one lead is that possibly the "Amarillo Welcome Center" has free tent sites available? Anywhere within 100 miles farther east of Amarillo along I 40 would work well too.

Thanks for any ideas!

By AGParker
From San Angelo, TX
Apr 29, 2014

Check out lake Meredith national recreation area. I think you can camp there and it's about 40 miles from Amarillo. It may be free, but if its not it'll likely be cheap.

Palo duro canyon state park is beautiful, but you'll have to pay a small fee to camp there. It is worth the cost to visit there though. It's only about 20 miles from Amarillo.

By WDW4
Apr 30, 2014
Global Village, Red River Gorge KY

AG, those are a little too far off the main drag for me, but they do look awesome. Thanks for the suggestions!

By Craig Childre
From Lubbock, Texas
Apr 30, 2014
Potrero Mexico, Sport Climbing Mecca.

It isn't free... but we're I in your shoes... I'd look south from Elk City, OK down to Granite to camp and climb Quartz Mountain... Top grade slab climbing, great boulders. The Welcome center might be your only free option. I'll ask if any of the locals know more and get back if they have anything to add. Good luck.

By Taylor W.
From Denver, Colorado
May 1, 2014

The state park has a pull over before the main gate. It is reserved for after hour travelers. They are okay with people pitching a tent next to their car if your arrive late at night.
Hope this helps.

By Austin Baird
From SLC, Utah
May 1, 2014
Me scaring years off my mom's life

PM sent

By WDW4
May 1, 2014
Global Village, Red River Gorge KY

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Granite sounds cool Craig, but unfortunately I'll be in a too much of a hurry to take the side trip.

Taylor, thanks for the beta.

Austin, thanks and I'm sending you a reply.